How long do your lagers go in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
I started a lager last week. I have had several lagers end primary in a week. This one's still bubbling away, and was 1.030 when I checked it last. I changed one thing- I'm colder in primary than I've done in the past- 50F.
What do ya think? 2 weeks? The sample I drew for gravity was really good!
Which brings up a secondary question- do you taste test your wort as it finishes? Get a pretty good idea what you'll wind up with? I have a lot of success that way- and even add an adjunct once in a while if needed. :mug:

2 weeks primary is good for a lager and then taste for diacetyl and if there is none you can transfer to a secondary and lager but do a diacetyl rest at 60F for 48 hours if you taste it. Then you can taste again to make sure it is gone and then lager for 6 to 8 weeks at 36F.

Ref: How to Brew - By John Palmer - When to Lager

Which brings up a secondary question- do you taste test your wort as it finishes? Get a pretty good idea what you'll wind up with?

Hello!

I always taste the samples I draw instead of returning them. Even the original sample that is super-sweet will at least give me an idea of what to expect. Future samples give me hints on how things are progressing, too. However, I don't take constant samples. I take an OG sample and then another after 10-14 days when I take a (hopefully) FG sample. If I secondary, I take a third before bottling. But you better believe I sample 'em all!

The more I do this the more I develope that "sixth-sense" about what the final outcome will be weeks later when I'm finally ready to pop a top and pour... Hope that helps!

-Tripod

I usually end up at the 2-week mark for racking to secondary on all my lagers. That 2weeks includes diacetyl rest and bringing it down to near-lagering temps before racking.

Back