Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the market for a four-on-the-floor freezer. I want a nice, easy fit for 4 ball-lock cornies on the floor.

The Magic Chef 7.2cu on the main page of this thread would be perfect, but I can't seem to find that one available anymore.

What models out there these days can accommodate?

The Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards - see here - will fit 4 ball locks without a collar. I currently have two ball locks and a slim quarter barrel on the floor in there. I got this freezer because it will fit a 1/2 barrel if I ever wanted that. I still installed a collar for a place to put taps.

The Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards - see here - will fit 4 ball locks without a collar. I currently have two ball locks and a slim quarter barrel on the floor in there. I got this freezer because it will fit a 1/2 barrel if I ever wanted that. I still installed a collar for a place to put taps.

Yep, I think it is identical to the Magic Chef. I have had 6 cornys in with collar, 4 on the floor. You can also fit two on the floor with a 1/6 or even 1/4 slim. Seems like it was made for soda kegs. One word of warning though, Coke kegs don't fit two deep, so you won't get 4 of those on the floor.

Yep, I think it is identical to the Magic Chef. I have had 6 cornys in with collar, 4 on the floor. You can also fit two on the floor with a 1/6 or even 1/4 slim. Seems like it was made for soda kegs. One word of warning though, Coke kegs don't fit two deep, so you won't get 4 of those on the floor.
This is great news! I've got Pepsi ball-locks so no issue there. My cornies appear to be exactly 8.5" in diameter. So, two smashed together would be exactly 17", which happens to be the depth measurement of the Sunbeam 7.2senorswiss reported earlier. I take it you had to 'shift' one row of kegs to get four on the floor? (So the kegs form a kind of parallelogram, but not a perfect square?)

Any chance you could post a birdseye pic of the inside? I'd like to see how snug it is in there.

For the record, another poster on here who owns the GE 7.0 claims it holds 4 ball-locks. He posted a pic to prove it. However, I've currently got that same model and it won't take all four. Not without smashing the 4th one down with a rubber mallet or something. I want four tappers flowing, but the GE 7.0 would force me to get too violent and I'm afraid of damaging the freezer.

I take it you had to 'shift' one row of kegs to get four on the floor? (So the kegs form a kind of parallelogram, but not a perfect square?)

Any chance you could post a birdseye pic of the inside? I'd like to see how snug it is in there.

Actually I am able to make a square, they fit in two deep, but there isn't much room to spare, if the kegs were a little bigger, there is room that you could offset. I don't have a picture of four on the floor, and right now I have 2 cornys and a tall 1/4 on the floor, but here is a pic of 3 on the floor that should give you a good idea.

Actually I am able to make a square, they fit in two deep, but there isn't much room to spare, if the kegs were a little bigger, there is room that you could offset. I don't have a picture of four on the floor, and right now I have 2 cornys and a tall 1/4 on the floor, but here is a pic of 3 on the floor that should give you a good idea.
Oh yeah. Should be no prob fitting 4 on the floor. Thanks for the pic!

Do you all monitor the temp with the temp adjustment provided on the unit or do you buy a separate temp monitor device for the freezers?

Thanks,

cp

You need a seperate device. You can order the johsnosn control from most brew stores, you can order the cheaper version from Chi company for an add on, or you can install a fridge thermostat. There is one from AHS or makeakegerator that just turns the freezer into a fridge for the most part. also a search of this forum will doubtless tell you how to rig one up.

incidently, I could not manage to get 4 on the floor in the new Holiday 7.0, its close, and maybe if it could be forced in there, but I am not inclined to do that.

Several people have posted that the Frigidaire 9.0 cu ft from Lowes will hold 4 on the floor (the same freezer iirc is sold at Sears as a Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft). I've got all of my stuff together for a keezer, but haven't started building it yet. Since I have all my kegs, I took the time to snap some pictures last night of the freezer loaded up.

(Click Images for full size)

It will hold 4 on the floor (all kegs are ball lock kegs)

It doesn't work so well for number 5 though...

But a 20 lb CO2 tank fits quite nicely in that spot...

Fully loaded with 6 kegs, 1 20 lb CO2 bottle and 1 40cuft 75N 25CO2 bottle..

It's a tight fit, but it fits...

Can anyone confirm how many pin-lock cornys the GE 7.0 or the Holiday 7.0 will hold? I need to be able to hold 4 and a 20# gas tank, but I guess the gas tank can go outside the freezer, right?

Cheers!

Can anyone confirm how many pin-lock cornys the GE 7.0 or the Holiday 7.0 will hold? I need to be able to hold 4 and a 20# gas tank, but I guess the gas tank can go outside the freezer, right?

Cheers!

The holiday 7 will fit 4, but it's TIGHT! You really have to press the 4th one in there, and pry it back out.

See here:

With 3 cornys, your tank will fit in the 7cu Holiday.
4 cornys leaves room for a 5# tank on the hump, and that's it...

Not sure of the size... guessing around 5 c.u. Will fit 4 ball lock cornies with a nine inch collar. The two in the lower section are tight.

picture.php

How does running the gas tank outside of the freezer work? I assume you are not drilling through the freezer wall, but the wooden extension? Is it just a hole in the wood through which the hose goes through? Any sealant on it?

First off, this is a great thread! I'm getting ready to build my kegerator and i'm trying to get 1/4 or 1/2 bbl + 2 corny's and 5lb co2 inside. I will build a collar so no issues with a the freezer having a hump. I saw this one at Sears: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04616922000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=

However, i just went to measure the inside and here are the specs: 16.5 inches deep, 24.5 inches wide to the hump w/a 10 inch hump. 1/4bbls and 1/2bbls are 16 1/8 - Is this going to be too tight of a fit?

How does running the gas tank outside of the freezer work? I assume you are not drilling through the freezer wall, but the wooden extension? Is it just a hole in the wood through which the hose goes through? Any sealant on it?

I have a 20# gas tank, so I keep it outside as it takes up a fair amount of space. I lined my wood extension with foam, ran my lines and them filled in the joints and holes with that insulating foam in a can. I think the brand I used was "Great Stuff"?

Hi,

I just ordered this kind of a system for making carbonated water on my own. I want to get a fridge/freezer for it. Wasn't sure what size for the Corny Keg, I just got 1 for now with a 5lb co2 tank.

Why do you guys use the freezers and not refrigerators? What temperature do you set the freezers at? Do you leave them running all the time, or just before carbonating?

Does anyone have experience with just carbonating water who could give me some instructions?

Thanks.

Hi,

I just ordered this kind of a system for making carbonated water on my own. I want to get a fridge/freezer for it. Wasn't sure what size for the Corny Keg, I just got 1 for now with a 5lb co2 tank.

Why do you guys use the freezers and not refrigerators? What temperature do you set the freezers at? Do you leave them running all the time, or just before carbonating?

Does anyone have experience with just carbonating water who could give me some instructions?

Thanks.

We convert freezers because they are more suited to "Horizontal storage" In other words, a fridge is designed to have "stuff" stacked on shelves. We don't want to stack kegs. You have to build a platform in a fridge to utilize the floor space ruined by the compressor hump, too.
That said, lots of guys use fridges.
Typically, a keezer will hold between 4 and 12 corny kegs! I've never met a fridge that will hold 12 cornys...

What temperature do you set the freezers at? Do you leave them running all the time, or just before carbonating?

Not sure about the temps for carbonating water but for beer, I set mine to 36 or so to force carbonate. Google the following search for possible assistance:

carbonating water site:http://www.homebrewtalk.com

If you go the freezer route you'll need to get either a Analog or Digital controller to control the freezer temps and prevent freezing. Set the freezer control to it's coldest setting and the controller will maintain the temp for you. The two I linked are for reference only - shop around for better prices.

Welcome to HBT and good luck!

New here how do you control the temp in a drop in freezer? My sister has one but she aint using it now so I might take it off her hands till she needs it.

Edit: Well it looks like my question was answered in the post before mine. Sorry! Should have read the entire post.

I've been over and over this thread and am just itching to rig up keezer so I can get a draft system going, sanitizing bottles is a pita! Craigslist is my area has been bunk so I'm signing up for a lowes cc and grabing this beast 14.8cuft freezer energy start Way more than I initially wanted to spend, but with the 0% interest for 12months its only 30bills a month to pay it off. Plenty of room for 4 cornies, Co2 tank, and multiple fermentors

I am looking for a 5cf chest freezer that can hold 4 kegs. I have seen a few pics on here and a couple people have asked the same question but I have yet to see an answer. Can someone help me out?

I believe they were saying the Holiday 7.0 holds 3 ball locks with ease...4 require really pushing it into there and not easily getting it back out unless you dent the hump a bit to help with the room. I think 3 on the floor + 2 on hump would be great with the collar (if the collar can hold 2)

I believe they were saying the Holiday 7.0 holds 3 ball locks with ease...4 require really pushing it into there and not easily getting it back out unless you dent the hump a bit to help with the room. I think 3 on the floor + 2 on hump would be great with the collar (if the collar can hold 2)

The Holiday 7.0 hump is 7.25 wide... And with the inside front-to-back depth of the freezer only being 15", you'll have trouble putting two 9" diameter cornies on it. Also, from the top of the hump to the top of the freezer is only 17.5". So your collar would have to be at least 15" when you have your disconnects on.

I am thinking 3 cornies on the floor, CO2 outside, and beer bottles on the hump is my strategy.

I just measured the 7.0 GE at Home Depot and the 7.0 Holiday at Lowe's this weekend. They're pretty much identical freezers.

Here is a picture of our 7.0 CF GE model freezer FCM7SUWW with 3 balllock kegs and a 5# C02 bottle.

686-keezer.jpg

Question about collars.... Do most people put insulation on the inside of their collars? Doesn't just having wood there make the freezer run much more frequently?

Question about collars.... Do most people put insulation on the inside of their collars? Doesn't just having wood there make the freezer run much more frequently?

I don't have a collar, but I know some people glue some pink rigid foam insulation to the inside of the collar.

The cold air does sink though, which is a primary advantage of a chest freezer setup when you open/close it frequently.

You could always start without and add when needed. My keezers don't cycle much even when I have the lid open for several minutes.

Just picked up the GE 7 cu Ft from Homedepot on Sunday. I don't know about for kegs but for carboys I can fit

6 gallon glass and 5 gallon water jug on the floor
3 gallon water bottle (with blowoff) and a 1 gallon blow off jug on the hump. Very tight fit between the two on the hump

Quick question. Does anyone know how many ball lock kegs can fit into the Holiday 7' freezer @ Lowes? It appears to fit at least 4, however I can't see the hump in the pict and not sure how similar it is to the 5'.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_73849-33112...URL=/pl_Chest+Freezers_4294857903_4294937087_

Its time to buy myself a b-day gift!

I just got one. Three fit just fine. I couldn't see a way to cram in a fourth, but it is close. I'm guessing five with a collar and gas on the outside.

I'm just happy to be drinking my beer cold for now. Many keezer mods are in the future though..

I see quite a few questions about the GE 7.0 cf from Home Depot (FCM7SUWW)...

TightFit.JPG

It holds four on the floor if you aren't afraid to apply some torque. One on the hump and a 10# CO2 bottle. You need a tall collar though to get one on the hump.

Oh these are 8.5" ball lock kegs.

Trying to decide between the GE 7.0 (Home Depot) and the Holiday 7.0 (Lowes)

GE is $198 but the bastards would charge $59 for delivery.

Holiday is $187, plus they'll take 10% off with a coupon I have, plus it's FREE delivery.

I have looked extensively at both of these... Is GE that much better than Holiday? I mean, this will all work out to like $90 cheaper for the Holiday. They look freakin' identical. Same measurements and design. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were made by the same company and branded differently.

Matter of fact, I don't know any better... Are they?!?!?

Ok... my hubby asked what I wanted for x-mas and I told him I wanted my gift early, like halloween early, and i wanted a corny keg! He said ok! I'm trying to gather all the info I can, this thread is amazingly helpful.... Here comes the dumb question.... It's ok to put the CO2 tank in the cooler? ((I know I see them in the pics)) but operating them cold is no issue? I always thought they had to sitting outside the cooler.

Thanks guys!

Really? They say free shipping on the website and it was free when I had mine shipped to me (like a month or so ago).

Ok... my hubby asked what I wanted for x-mas and I told him I wanted my gift early, like halloween early, and i wanted a corny keg! He said ok! I'm trying to gather all the info I can, this thread is amazingly helpful.... Here comes the dumb question.... It's ok to put the CO2 tank in the cooler? ((I know I see them in the pics)) but operating them cold is no issue? I always thought they had to sitting outside the cooler.

Thanks guys!

You can do it either way... most do it inside. Just don't expect accurate readings on what is left in the tank since it'll appear to be low due to the temperature. Not a big deal really and most suggest taping over or removing the tank gauge so you aren't distracted by it, lol.

Trying to decide between the GE 7.0 (Home Depot) and the Holiday 7.0 (Lowes)

Holiday is $187, plus they'll take 10% off with a coupon I have, plus it's FREE delivery.

I have looked extensively at both of these... Is GE that much better than Holiday? I mean, this will all work out to like $90 cheaper for the Holiday. They look freakin' identical. Same measurements and design. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were made by the same company and branded differently.

Matter of fact, I don't know any better... Are they?!?!?

there are mainly three manufacturers that make all the chest freezers for all the brands, so it is not uncommon to see the same internals as well as very similar externals. i dont personally think one brand is any better than the next when all other factors are equal or nearly so.

The majority are manufactured by three companies: Frigidaire (owned by Electrolux), W.C. Wood (based in Canada) and Haier (based in China). Frigidaire makes freezers under the Frigidaire, Holiday and Gibson names, and along with Haier, makes some freezers for Kenmore and General Electric. W.C. Wood makes freezers for Amana, Magic Chef, some units for Maytag, Danby and Whirlpool. Haier makes freezers for GE, Kenmore, some units for Maytag and Amana in addition to selling some models under its own name.

i would not put my name to the above list, the parts and components are sort of a commodity so several suppliers or entirely new suppliers could be contributing to a particular model. needless to say however, if two brand models look alike, chances are very good they are nearly identical.

Thanks rawlus... Great info!

Bought the Holiday from Lowe's... $189 - 10% ($18.90) = $170.10 + tax.

It's being free delivered on Thursday morning.

I see that people have posted that you can put 3 kegs and a CO2 tank in the 5.0cu Holiday, but does anyone know whether I'd be able to do the same with the GE model

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

There is no model in store for me to look at, so cant size it myself.

GE 5.0 cu. ft. at Sam's Club for $151.73
ChestFreezer-GE-5.0.jpg

With a collar it should work. I think that the one on the compressor needs moved to the other side than in the pic.

Back