Help! My aerator is bubbling over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDBrewer08

Reaction score
Hello all.
Just brewed my first 2 batches this past weekend.
A Nut Brown, and an American IPA.
The aerator on the Nut Brown is bubbling nicely, but the one on the IPA is lightly foaming out the top of the aerator.
Any ideas on how to remedy this? I've heard of blow-off technique, but am a little confused. Or--do I just leave this, and wipe it off a few times a day?
Thank you SO much!

I take it you mean airlock? Are you fermenting in a bucket? If so you can rig a blowoff tube on a 3 piece airlock like this...

blowoff2.jpg

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

Don't for forget to sanitize it and then put one end of your hose in a container with sanitized water or vodka.

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock.

There are several options for a blowoff tube (one is described above) You can do a search on blowoff tube to get some more information as well.

Some people will use a 1" hose from the neck of the carboy (fits neatly inside) into a bucket of sanitizer. Others will just shove some 3/8 tubing through a drilled stopper. You can also use a carboy cap with a tube attached as a blowoff tube. Any of these ways will work, although you still have a chance of the smaller tubes getting clogged and blowing your cap/stopper etc off and plastering your ceiling with gunk.

Congratulations on a real healthy fermentation!!!

Back