• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I need Help! 2.5 Gallon Cornies Needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
I acquired this really cool old fridge, and desperately want to turn it into a kegerator. I have done this kind of modification before, so am familiar with the process, but my need is some corny kegs. I found them on chicomapany.net but am reluctant to spend $120 each.

Who has some for sale?

I am willing to spend $50 each :)

Good luck finding 2.5 (or even 3) gallon corny kegs at $50 each. I got mine from Rebel Brewer when they were under $100 each. They have them at that rate right now... http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/2.5-Gallon-"Ball%2dLock"-Kegs-%2d-New.html I use 3 gallon kegs in my brew fridge. Which are a bit more, right now. I get 6 gallons out of fermenting vessel, so I fill two kegs per batch. Gives me a decent rotation rate on brews that way. :D

BTW, with Rebel, if you get two kegs, the shipping per keg is really low. Normally about $13 for a pair to my door. I believe it's about $11 for a single keg, so for a couple dollars more (in shipping) you get a second keg. :rockin: That's with UPS ground shipping, when I ordered last.

Have heard enough bad things about those new, cheap, kegs to NOT want one... Ever... The quality on the Italian made kegs is top notch. Zero issues with the ones I have (single metal handle) with everything being solid. IMO, it's worth paying a few dollars more for a keg that will last virtually forever. Chances are, the good ones will outlast you. Jury is still out on the cheap (Chinese) ones. :eek:

BTW, being able to stack the kegs (for me) is of no benefit. I wouldn't stack them on each other when full, and when empty, I have plenty of other ways to store them. Better off [IMO] spending a few dollars on a good shelving unit (that you can also use for other things).

Golddiggie - where have you heard bad things about the kegs? I was concerned a bit when I ordered them (too good to be true) and looked and looked for bad reviews - but couldn't find any. Most people on the thread below seem to like them. Any links to negative reviews? Have considered ordering a couple more, but have been holding off so far, but would be interested in any bad experiences people have had.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/2-5-gallon-keg-336812/index7.html

I am willing to spend $50 each :)

As golddiggie said, $50 each won't get you one. Maybe $80 each plus shipping could score you one or two, but I wouldn't sell mine for less than $100 a piece.

A few years ago (three or four maybe?), Williams Brewing had then for $50 apiece, and they sold out of them in like 24 hours!

Oh ya, here is the fridge i am putting them in:)

vintage1.jpg

vintage2.jpg

Definitely go w/ the 3 gal kegs made in Italy. Both Keg Connection & Beverage Elements have them. BE is usually less.
Great quality - I have six now. But, you'll pay $90-100.

There were threads about the new, cheap, kegs posted when they were newer to the market earlier this year. Remember reading about coatings being on them, as well as the significantly thinner metal used in the manufacture of them. IMO, I want a serving keg that I have zero concerns over the quality of them. The Italian made kegs I have/own are rock solid.

BTW, I picked up a pair of 5 gallon kegs on Friday in order to carbonate a couple of bigger brews (9% and 12%) in the basement. I'll probably also use my 2.5 gallon kegs for what doesn't fit into the 5 gallon kegs. Or fill the 2.5 gallon kegs and then send the rest into the 5 gallon kegs. I had a pair of Visa gift cards from last year's holiday season ($50 each) that would have had fees applied after a year of not using them... So, the kegs cost me under $20 for the pair. :rockin: Hope to get some more of those gift cards this holiday season. Could use a couple more 3 gallon kegs to allow me to brew more batches and not worry. :D

I have two of the Chinese kegs and have put two different batches through them without any problems. A little rust discoloration around handle welds but this seems to wash off. So far I'm pretty happy with them.

dallasdb said:
Williams Brewing had some new dinged ones for $60 earlier this month. Not sure if they still have some.

I splurged on one, the sold out in a day, wish I bought two. Just got it yesterday, you can tell the quality isn't there, but to throw a beer in there should work just fine.

Just a quick note for anyone looking for 2.5 Gallon Kegs - morebeer.com has them on promotion at $99 each with free shipping. This ends at the end of the month. These are the rubber top stackable kegs from Italy - not the cheap Chinese ones. Just a quick FYI on those for anyone that hasn't seen one in person - the welds are rather poor and are definitely not sanitary. Thought I'd let everyone looking for small kegs know - on sale for another week!

Cheers!

Re: the cheap Chinese ones. I bought a pair and the welds are awful so it's doubtful you'll not contaminate a batch at some point. They hold pressure but sometimes if they get bumped, can easily leak out the posts. The ones I got had dip tubes that were an inch or more short so you couldn't blow off sediment in the first couple pours and couldn't get the last few pints out. I would pony up the cash for the better made ones. You'll end up selling them at a slight loss and buying the better quality ones anyway once you get a few disappointing experiences using them.

So an update is due I guess. I went ahead and skipped the idea for a kegerator conversion in the old fridge, but did go ahead and retrofit the broken refrigeration with modern "guts" from a modern mini fridge. I converted it to a beer cellar with shelves. Here is a pic:)

on a somewhat related note, I did eventually go with nice new italian made 2.5 gallon kegs for my keezer.

2.5.jpg

cellar3.jpg

That is very cool.. I have a similar issue with my '30s GE. My 5 gallon cornies won't fit so I may steal your shelving idea. Thanks for the pic!

Swify

Back