Mmmmmmmmm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Chicken hearts with onions and celery over rice with adobo!!!!

MMMMMMMMM

hearts.jpg

When I saw the title and who posted it, I was a little worried... :)

If you're familiar with Family Guy, in my head I heard Herbert while reading the title. "Mmmmmmmmmm"

It was actually seriously tasty. You wouldn't have known what you were eating until after you asked.

This is why the conversation at la casa de Creamy usually goes:

Me: "hey try this!"
Wife/Guest/Victim: "No, what is it first"
Me: "Oh C'mon! Its delicious!"
Them: "Tell me what it is and I'll think about it"

Tongue comes in two varieties... awesome and vile, there is no in between. Beware any deli that lists their tongue as "Delicious Tongue." They are generally blowing smoke.

Anyone got a favorite offal dish I should try to make and consume before my wife gets home from Colorado?

Best offal dish I have had was fresh, thin sliced moose liver, onions, eggs, strong coffee and homemade bread for breakfast at my friend's cabin in McGrath. We shot the moose the night before and his wife had this breakfast ready for us when we got up go hunting the next morning.

I love cow's tongue sandwiches! and growing up we ate a lot of Scrapple and what was locally know as head cheese - all the bits and pieces scraped from the head of the pig after cooking for along time and mashed into a loaf, sliced, fried and put it between 2 halves of a bisuit - mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I love head cheese and scrapple! Only offal I have eaten I didnt much care for was the liver mush recipe I got online. That was not so good.

Raw fish? All over it!

Livers or hearts? can't...........do it.....................noooooo!!!!.........ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope! can't.

Cheezy, I promise, hand on the ishkabibble, that you wouldnt know they were hearts until after you scarfed a plate down.

OK creamy, I'll try them!

now....who can I bribe to trick me?........ ;)

Livers were ruined Halloween night when I was 8.

Mom said that I had to clean my plate before trick or treating....LIVER!!!!!First and last time.

I nearly puked!!! May try that again.

When I was a kid we used to argue who got the heart. A whole plate of them would be awesome. Where do you get the hearts?

My supermarket has them in the poultry part of the meat aisle. Also tubs of livers, shrinkwrapped gizzards, and feet (which SWMBO has forbidden in the house). Sigh. Women.

I was not expecting to cut into the little buggers and find... well... stuff that should be in a heart still there (is that delicate enough?) So cut them up, soaked once in salt water, rinsed, soaked once in fresh water, rinsed, and then cooked. LOTS of work, but if you consider the fact that I used leftover celery and an onion that I already had (and adobo and schmaltz I had at hand), then dinner for 1 cost $1.57.

Tried fois gras twice and I don't see what the big deal is. The flavor from one was very different from the other that I tried. One actually tasted like what wet dog smells like. The other really didn't have a lot of flavor to it, but the texture was nice. A lot of money for not a lot if you ask me. As for the chicken hearts, I've only had them once, but the taste was really good. Just hard to get past the texture. If you can't tell, I'm very texture oriented when it comes to food. Don't even think about putting a mushroom or olive in front of me. I have no issue with the taste of either, but the texture is enough to make me want to gag.

i can 't stomach the concept of eating a part of an animal a large function of which is to detoxify it.. just doesn't seem right.. i'll eat most other parts though (haven't tried heart, though i "may" be open to it)

i can 't stomach the concept of eating a part of an animal a large function of which is to detoxify it.. just doesn't seem right.. i'll eat most other parts though (haven't tried heart, though i "may" be open to it)

Agreed! As I stress my liver with homebrew, I wonder why T F would I eat something else's?

so sad, seeing as how you are in the county that invented scrapple :-D. The chicken hearts, when spiced and then cooked until quite well done, were tender and didnt have a strong "organy" flavor, if that helps psychologically...

One of the reasons I eat offal is one of respect for the animal. If an animal died to feed me, I'm going to eat as much of it as I can stomach. Of course this is a bit hippy dippy since I get my meats from grocery stores and butchers, but what can you do. I think I'll take a good hard look at tongue next (never prepared it in my kitchen, have only had it on tacos).

I can't eat liver for this reason too. they taste, to me, like what an Oil Filter should taste like. Easier to cook tho'.

Latest posts

Back