Beer Gun: loss of carbonation- beer is flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tvc15

Reaction score
Here is how it happened (spoiler alert: I know I made mistakes)

1) Keg and bottles were at 70°
2) Keg was carbonated with sugar- NOT forced carbonated, no C02 tank was used
3) The beer foamed like crazy even though I was at 3-5 PSI, I probably lost 1/2 a gallon to 12 x 22 oz bottles
4) Bottles were placed in fridge at 44° for 2 days

RESULT: A TOTALY FLAT BEER- BEER FROM KEG IS PERFECT!

QUESTION: Can I drop a carbonation pill into each beer to get the carbonation back or am I screwed...

NOTE: Bottle are resealable Grolsch style

ADVISE PLEASE! This brew was for a wedding gift, I need a ASAP solution!

Sure, carb drops. 2-3 per bottle I believe. Or you could try to package more bottles from the keg if it's pouring properly.

Edit: Next time you need to package carbed beer from a keg for something important like a wedding, CARBONATE IT PROPERLY! ;) Overcarbonated beer flows out of a beer gun as pure foam, not beer. Use the CO2 bottle and the regulator for their intended purposes. Chill those bottles thoroughly. Bottle very slowly at first, up the PSI gradually if you think you can get away with it. Cap each bottle immediately.

Sure, carb drops. 2-3 per bottle I believe. Or you could try to package more bottles from the keg if it's pouring properly.

Edit: Next time you need to package carbed beer from a keg for something important like a wedding, CARBONATE IT PROPERLY! ;) Overcarbonated beer flows out of a beer gun as pure foam, not beer. Use the CO2 bottle and the regulator for their intended purposes. Chill those bottles thoroughly. Bottle very slowly at first, up the PSI gradually if you think you can get away with it. Cap each bottle immediately.

So I it ruined or can I just add a carbonation pill?

You may want to try a Bowie Bottler next time.

I know it won't help you this time but,.....

And if you don't have the required tap to use a BB you can always hook up a picnic tap and shove a cutoff bottling wand in it like this

This happened because of your temps. You have to carb and bottle beer cold. You know how beer carbs up faster cold? That's because at lower temperatures beer both absorbs AND retains C02 better. If you try to bottle beer from a keg at 70 F, all of the C02 will come out of solution from the agitation (hence the foaming). Bottle at 38F, and you'll be fine. I also recommend putting your bottles in the fridge before you fill them, or at least giving them a splash of cold water.

My beer always loses some carbonation in the beer-gun process. I typically overcarbonate in the keg to make up for whats lost to the foam.

Back