Beer sous vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about this the other day. I was reminded of the sous vide method as I whirlpooled my wort with a March pump after boiling, but you could do a fine mash in a bag. I don't guess you'd get much bitterness from putting the hops with ther grains in the bag like this guy is doing.

I don't understand what sealing the mash in a bag is supposed to accomplish. This is just another way of controlling/maintaining the temperature, right? Seems like you could do the same thing with a HERMS system by adding hops to the mash, not sparging, and not boiling. Which would be... weird.

Interesting. Wonder if you can do it only for flavor hops and add them to the fermenter, and if that would produce a better product then dry hopping.

I can only guess that being from bayou country, they are trying to brew beer like they cook their food. Who am I to complain?
I've had a number of their beers and think most are just average. Their specialty beers are pretty good.

The sous vide is the ultimate in temperature control. The entire mash will reach your rest temp and stay there with very little temperature variation. While it is nit picky to claim that in a hermes system small sections of the batch are exposed to temperatures higher than your set point leading to a heat gradient in your mash... it is the little things that add up to something great!

My only thought is that its interesting that he does not claim to account for any grain absorbtion of water and using the hop extract for bitterness, doesnt even hop extract need to boil for some isomerization to happen?

Latest posts

Back