6" Depth Control Panel -- Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Grumble... was sent the wrong size. I received my control panel enclosure from Pioneer Breaker today. I had ordered a 14x14x8 -- but it was out of stock until July. After a couple rounds of email and a phone call, they decided to send out a 16x16 -- however, they neglected to tell me it was 6" depth, I would have taken the 12" depth. Long story short, anyone shoving their PIDs and relays in a 6" depth enclosure?

edit: After a phone call w/ Pioneer Breaker we swapped it out for a 16x16x12. Great customer service, easy to get on the phone too. Won't have any problems with this size and it'll make some future plans easier.

6" should be fine if you are mounting a standard 1/16 pid (like the aubers).

they are around 4" deep.

So just watch your component placement behind the pid (leave adequate spacing of a few inches for door swing) and you should be fine.

You won't get anything behind it except for terminal blocks. Contactors and breakers are all going to be too tall. Check out the link in my sig line and for two PIDs, I wouldn't go any smaller than 16x12x8. I found the space to be fairly tight for what I was working with.

I'm adding a second panel to accomodate the power distribution and circuit breakers. No cramming components in or clearance problems that way.

2012-05-20_21-18-04_166.jpg

hampdenbrewing said:
I'm adding a second panel to accomodate the power distribution and circuit breakers. No cramming components in or clearance problems that way.

It is fine for most of us ...maybe not for you. If that pic is real ..;)

aquenne said:
6" should be fine if you are mounting a standard 1/16 pid (like the aubers).

they are around 4" deep.

So just watch your component placement behind the pid (leave adequate spacing of a few inches for door swing) and you should be fine.

I got 3 auberins 1/16 PIDs, a contactor, 2 SSRs, DIN rail breakers, a safe start relay, 6 selector switches (some with double stacked contact blocks), and a 110 duplex receptacle in a 12x12x6.

I don't have a photo handy, but the basic gist of the layout is something like this. Divide into 3 rows. Top left, the power comes in. Remainder of the top is the SSRs and relays for the heating elements. Middle 3rd is the three PIDs. All of their wiring routes to the inside surface of the faceplate, then into the enclosure in 2 bundles (one for power wiring, one for the controls wiring). Bottom row has the breakers and DIN terminal blocks, switches on the faceplate, outlet mounted through the side.

Power to the elements is routed out the top right via a watertight conduit to a pair of boxes for the element plugs.

Latest posts

Back