HeadSpace for Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabeSyme

Reaction score
Ok, so I've reading horror stories over the last hour or so about Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner yeast and I'm getting worried. I made a coupel Hefeweizens with it a couple months ago and was quite pleased. There wasn't really an explosion even though I pitched the second directly onto the yeast cake of the first. I'm making a Smoked Hefe and a Gose this week and splitting the smack pack between the two. See the recipes below but each is 1.5 gallons and I have limited fermentation space. I have a 2 gallon bucket and two 1 gallon glass jugs.

Gose
1lb Wheat Malt
1lb German Pilsner
.5lb Acid Malt
TBD Corriander
TBD Salt (Not sure what ratio I'm doing with these yet)
Projected Efficiency 65-70% (I'm also using a new mini-mash tun so I'm oblivious on that too)
Tasty Brew puts my OG around 1.041-1.044
.15oz Hallertauer Hops at 15minutes
60 min mash at 148F without the acid malt followed by 45 min with the acid malt

Rauch Wheat
2lbs Wheat Malt
1lb German Pilsner
.5lb Beechwood Smoked Pilsner Malt
Projected Efficiency 65-70%
OG should be 1.058-1.063
.2 Hallertauer at 60 min
.15 Saaz at 15 min
60 min mash at 154F

My question is this: Do I have enough headspace between the three fermenters to avoid a new paint job in my kitchen? Or should I rethink my brew day and go buy a bigger bucket? Just kidding, I'm a poor grad student so that's not really an option. In fact I'm using the same smack pack for both because I don't have money for two different yeasts on two small batches like this. I have the option to put them in front of my A/C in a tub full of water but will that be enough? Thanks for the help.

If you are using a blow off tube then you have no prob with 3068. ....you might want to consider a $12 6 gal ale pale. Seems like a hassle to mess with a 2 gal bucket and 2 one gallon jugs.

Back