backsweeten help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocknhardcider

Reaction score
Say I wanted the taste of blueberrie cider? If I put in straight blueberry juice at second fermentation it would eat all the sugar but would it leave the taste? Then id just add xyitol at the end before bottiling for fizzy sweet blueberry cider?

Never tried with blueberry juice, but I would imagine that after a second round of fermentation you would still have a little flavor from them depending on how much you added vs how much cider you originally had.

I would also recommend that you try using a non-fermentable sugar like xyitol in a batch prior to see if you like it (maybe you have already). I recently just dumped a 2 gallon batch because I realized I just couldn't stand the artificial/chemical taste. I will try apple juice concentrate and then pasteurize next batch.

What if I used campden tablets after primary fermentation then let sit for a day? Then add the blueberry juice as the back sweetner?

So its been 14hrs with no bubbles is that bad...I know I'm supposed to wait 48hrs but its killin me

14 hrs isn't long
Did you proof your yeast?
Did you aerate your must?
Did you use energiser and nutrient?
Did you make a starter?

I ALWAYS rehydrate my dry yeast in a cup of lukewarm water give it a few minutes, add a cup of my must, let it acclimate for 15 minutes or so, add another cup of must, another 15 minutes and it should be bubbling nicely by now giving off a nice yeasty aroma, pitch and I've never failed to have active fermentation within a couple of hours.

I understand a lot of people don't feel all of this is necessary, but I also know that a lot of noobies get unduly stressed because they see no activity.

What's the must your talking about and I did most those. Added yeast nutrient,aerated and put yeast in water before hand? I'm only guessing cuz I'm doing five gallons it takes longer

What's the must your talking about and I did most those. Added yeast nutrient,aerated and put yeast in water before hand? I'm only guessing cuz I'm doing five gallons it takes longer

The must is everything that you have in your fermentor. Cider, sugar, water etc. Actually this is a winery term not sure if it applies to cider.

This process just gives the yeast a chance to adapt to the sugar gradually. It is particularly important in high gravity (lots of sugar) brews.

That's definitely it because I'm aiming for a nice 8-10% for one 5 gallon carboy and 13% or higher on the other. The first one has slowly started but the high sugar carboy has shown no reaction

Stir them both really hard get them aerated well. You might place them somewhere a lil warmer until they get started. Have you added nutrient?

So I'm doin pomegranate now and how much should I add to five gallons I got one of the big POM juice extract should I get more?

Back