Founders All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spent an hour reading all 24 pages of the thread...

Just to keep the best Brewski09 recipe fresh - should we make the Crystal-to-Citra replacement? Replace to Citra in all additions? (60-20-5-Dryhop)

Also, I cannot get "Briess Red Wheat" Malt - can it be substituted with generic 2L Wheat malt? Or is it for red color only? - I could use 15L Bestmalz "Red X" barley malt...

I'd like to try doing this subbing citra for crystal but haven't had the brewing time yet, so I guess yes but correct for IBU as Citra is higher AA than crystal.

I prefer red wheat to white wheat for some reason but it barely contributes any color so I'd use white wheat.

I guess I'm gonna play safe this time and just make your original recipe using Crystal. On the other hand, I have some Citra lying around, so I could split the brew in two - one with Crystal and one with Citra...

Too bad I can't get the "Briess Red Wheat", not even sure if it's available in Europe... :confused: What is the uniqueness of the Red Wheat?
Well, it's only 2.7% of the grist, so hopefully the substitution won't impact it too much.

I guess I'm gonna play safe this time and just make your original recipe using Crystal. On the other hand, I have some Citra lying around, so I could split the brew in two - one with Crystal and one with Citra...

Too bad I can't get the "Briess Red Wheat", not even sure if it's available in Europe... :confused: What is the uniqueness of the Red Wheat?
Well, it's only 2.7% of the grist, so hopefully the substitution won't impact it too much.

The red wheat seemed better quality than the white and also I like the flavor in wheat beers better than white wheat.

Just wondering - what would be the outcome if I substitute the Pale 2-row with Pilsner malt?
(I have a 55lb bag of Pilsner malt lying around, while I have no Pale malt at all currently..).

Just wondering - what would be the outcome if I substitute the Pale 2-row with Pilsner malt?
(I have a 55lb bag of Pilsner malt lying around, while I have no Pale malt at all currently..).

Make sure you have a vigorous boil and it should be a good beer. I like Pilsner as a base malt for IPA (especially IIPA) but we were trying to clone the beer so we used pale as it was closer to the original.

Yes, I always do a 90 min rolling boil to drive off the DMS when using Pilsner.
I agree - I do not intend to replace the Pale to Pilsner in your recipe, it's just that I currently have a huge pile of Pilsner malt and don't know where to put it, so I thought I might give it a go in this beer so it gets used up faster. I will definitely also do the original Pale malt version once I run out of Pilsner.

I'm not really an experienced homebrewer - was wondering what would be the difference when using Pilsner in place of Pale in this recipe? I'm guessing - a slightly fuller/maltier flavour?

Yes, I always do a 90 min rolling boil to drive off the DMS when using Pilsner.

I agree - I do not intend to replace the Pale to Pilsner in your recipe, it's just that I currently have a huge pile of Pilsner malt and don't know where to put it, so I thought I might give it a go in this beer so it gets used up faster. I will definitely also do the original Pale malt version once I run out of Pilsner.

I'm not really an experienced homebrewer - was wondering what would be the difference when using Pilsner in place of Pale in this recipe? I'm guessing - a slightly fuller/maltier flavour?

I don't think you need a 90 minute boil unless it's not very vigorous since even Pilsner malts are so well modified, just my opinion though. Try taking a kernel or two of pale male and eating it versus Pilsner malt and that will give you the best idea what the difference will be.

I brewed the recipe I posted at post #233 and I am comparing it to canned ADIPA. Color and mouthfeel are pretty much spot on. While my version is certainly very tasty, I'm not getting any Citra out of the original. The hop flavor in the original is a bit darker and firmer, if you told me there was Centennial in there I'd believe it, mine is brighter with more citrus. As the original warms a bit I do get a some of the soapyness, when I get a chance to brew this again I'll try the original crystal hops.

At any rate I'll gladly drink either one :D

It's also possible they changed this since we tried to clone it. The soapy was weird and I get it at certain levels with crystal but I'd bet it's in other hops too. I get it in ZD a little too which is supposedly all citra.

I buy multiple pounds of Citra every year. I drink All Day IPA about 3 nights a week after my work shift (free beer on tap). I don't taste Citra hops in this beer. Was Citra ever confirmed?

I taste some combination of Cascade/Centennial, Simcoe and/or Amarillo to be honest. The flavor/aroma is very citrus forward and floral with some notes of pinecone, orange, and ripe fruit.

I buy multiple pounds of Citra every year. I drink All Day IPA about 3 nights a week after my work shift (free beer on tap). I don't taste Citra hops in this beer. Was Citra ever confirmed?

I taste some combination of Cascade/Centennial, Simcoe and/or Amarillo to be honest. The flavor/aroma is very citrus forward and floral with some notes of pinecone, orange, and ripe fruit.

I don't think we ever had anything "confirmed" IIRC

What is the latest version of the recipe? Thinking of brewing this again.

Hello:

I've looked through this thread for an extract version but not only seem to see the all grain or one that says is an extract but starts with 6 gallons of water...
I was hoping to see if anyone has an extract version or get thoughts on one I tried to convert:

(3.5 gallons to start)
2.5 DME – Pilsen (Boil)
3.3 LME – Pilsen (15 minutes)

STEEP
18oz – Crystal 20
1lb – two row
12oz – flaked oats
4oz – red wheat

60 minute
10g Simcoe
4g Crystal

20 Minute
16g Simcoe
10g Crystal
18g Amarillo

5 Minute
7g Crystal
14g Amarillo

WLP001

Dry Hop - 7 days
14g Simcoe
7g Crystal
14g Amarillo

I plugged those into my recipe calculator and get
1.047OG 1.011 FG ABV 4.7% 36.65IBU 5.62 SRM
the IBUs should be about 42 so I am playing around with the numbers still...

Hello:
the IBUs should be about 42 so I am playing around with the numbers still...

That's always going to be the case...when you buy your hops, run the exact AA numbers back through your software and adjust the bittering charges to get back to the correct IBU. Try to leave the flavor and aroma charges alone though.

For anyone who wants to play with citra here is a flash sale, 16 oz for 16 bucks

Http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/Citra16oz_p/hopscitra1-2016crop.htm

Brewed this this morning.

Og 1.051
ibu 47.29
5.5 batch
05 yeast

7lb 2 row
1.2 lb crystal 20
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb flaked rye
.5 lb red wheat

Mashed between 145 and 150 for 60

.25 amarillo fw
.25 simcoe fw
.5 amarillo @ 20
.5 simcoe @ 20
.5 amarillo @ 5
.25 citra @ whirlpool 170 deg. For 20 min.
.5 amarillo dry hop day 9 thru 14
.5 simcoe dry hop day 9 thru 14
.25 citra dry hop day 9 thru 14

want to try this and the one i did thursday in a test. I know founders says its only simcoe and amarillo, but my taste buds pick up citra at the end. Some think im crazy but even if im wrong it should still be a good beer.

I'll brew it again next week with only simcoe and amarillo.

Again thank you brewski for the recipe.

Brewed your version this morning with the only variation being less crystal as I was low (1lb vs 1.2lb). OG came out to 1.050 which I'm happy with. Plan to up the dry hop bill when I get there.

I see you've brewed a few variation of this. Any changes you'd make if you brewed again?

Back