Is it Lacto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyPDFustercluck

Reaction score
So I've had a batch of an apricot pale ale (BYO magic hat #9 clone) bottled for several months now, and cant seem to shake this nagging taste. First a little about the recipe, it was an extract brew that I first did a primary fermentation for three weeks, and after the SG settled out, I racked to a secondary with 3# of canned apricot puree. A vigorous secondary ferment took off and lasted about a week, then I primed and bottled. For yeast I used s-04.

Now to the taste issue, so far every bottle I've opened has had the same sourness to it. It also has a serious amount of carbonation, not excessive, but more carbonation than I'm used to seeing (I primed the same as I always do, 5oz of dextrose per 5gal)

I've had beers made with lacto before, and enjoy the flavor. I'm just looking for an answer to where this sour flavor could be coming from in my beer. I've brewed many batches before and since, none having this issue, and my sanitation practices are routine (high pressure bottle wash and idophor to sanitize everything from bottles to bucket to transfer tubing) Anyone done this recipe and had similar results? It's the one from BYO's 250 clone edition

Back