Simple Porter Yea/Nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4.5# 2-row
4.5# Vienna
0.75# Chocolate Malt
0.25# Black Patent
0.5# Crystal 20

**Thinking of adding ~2 oz of honey malt

Standard EKG/Fuggle porter hop profile 60/20/5 to about 40 IBU

I've never used that honey malt before, and I'm going for a toasty- honey' n' biscuit kinda vibe with the Vienna. How much honey malt do I need?

Oh, I also may toast some of the two-row as well.

Thoughts?

Keep those malts simple. On another note as far as the hops go....How about some Perle in the Kettle, Northern Brewer for a middle addtions, Centennial in the late addition, and knockout? 40 IBU's is going to make a fabulous beer!!!

I like the toasting idea. I did a brown ale recently with a couple pounds of home-roasted 2-row, plus a half pound of Victory, and it came out real nice. Almost, but not quite, porter-ey (I only used a half or 3/4# chocolate).

No idea on the honey malt. I'm thinking my next non-smoked porter will have a little Special B in there, though.

I've heard Perle is the most neutral of all the hops. I'll see if I can get some today. Pretty sure Centennial is out though. Centennial is fairly citrusy, is it not? I want to keep the hops in the background a bit on this one, as far as distinctive flavors go.

I think this sounds like a tasty brew. What mash temp are your thinking of using? Are you going for malty or dry? If malty and playing off the chocolate, maybe go with a darker crystal, like a 120L. If drier, then what you have layed out sounds great.

Chairman Cheyco said:
I've heard Perle is the most neutral of all the hops. I'll see if I can get some today. Pretty sure Centennial is out though. Centennial is fairly citrusy, is it not? I want to keep the hops in the background a bit on this one, as far as distinctive flavors go.

Perle, yeah it's about as neutral as they come, and it is an AWESOME kettle hop. While the Centennial is somewhat citrusy I think the later additions combined with the Northern brewer give it a fab taste when combined with chocolate and black malt.. I have been using this combo in my porter and won't ever go back.

At any rate yes, go for the Perle in the kettle.

Brewpastor said:
I think this sounds like a tasty brew. What mash temp are your thinking of using? Are you going for malty or dry? If malty and playing off the chocolate, maybe go with a darker crystal, like a 120L. If drier, then what you have layed out sounds great.

I was going to mash at 152, so middle of the road - on the dry side. Should I go with a medium crystal? Or maybe split between light and dark?

Chairman Cheyco said:
... Pretty sure Centennial is out though. Centennial is fairly citrusy, is it not? ...
Yes. It wouldn't be 'to style' in a true Porter. You'd want to stick with the others you've mentioned or any British noble - UKG, Fuggles. If you want an American Porter - heck, do what you want!

If you're looking for a biscuity flavor, why not use a small amount of biscuit malt, if you can get it. Honey malt is nice and I'd think would work well here.

Toasting the 2-row for ~300oF with the oven door slightly ajar for 45-60 mins. will approximate British brown malt which would also go great. I do that often for one of my IPAs. Just be sure to place the sheet of 2-row on the highest rack in your oven and stir once in awhile. Otherwise, the bottom grains will darken and some will scorch. Been there, done that!:mad:

Chairman Cheyco said:
I was going to mash at 152, so middle of the road - on the dry side. Should I go with a medium crystal? Or maybe split between light and dark?

It really depends on what tones you want. Those lighter crystal are pretty subtle which works nice in drier products. The Mediums are where you get those sweet caramel tones to balance roast. I think with a 152 mash and the grain bill you are working with I would go into the 50-60L range. I would avoid the Hugh Bairds because of their pineapple tones.

I say "Yay" I concur with the good Brewpastor on the crystal. I like the flavors from the darker crystal, but if you're going for dry, 60 would be the way to go.

Brewpastor said:
... I would avoid the Hugh Bairds because of their pineapple tones.
Okay, I'm glad I read this b/c I had not heard that before. I happened to be looking at bulk grain online and was considering this malt.

Cheyco...

Honey malt...for a slight nutty flavor, add no more than .5 lb. In a lighter beer I'd go with .25 lb., but I think a porter could handle it.

Honestly I don't know how this would work. I use honey and honey malt togeher to accentuate the honey. Seems to work for me.

I think a half pound and no more would be pretty nice in a porter!

Thanks for all your help guys! Here's what I'm going with, going to cook it up this afternoon:

Lockjaw Porter

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.64
Anticipated SRM: 31.7
Anticipated IBU: 40.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
41.0 4.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Canada 1.036 4
41.0 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
2.6 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
7.7 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
5.1 0.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
2.6 0.25 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Perle Whole 8.00 35.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 2.8 15 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 1.8 5 min.

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Saccharification Rest Temp : 151 Time: 60

Mashed in and nailed 151! woot! I have found that since I started taking my grist temp every time (my grain is usually in the mid-50s) and compensating for it, I've been really accurate hitting my mash temps.

X360 for an hour and sparge!

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back