Biggest hangover beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
What beer gives you the biggest hang over? I seem to always be completely and utterly useless the next day after drinking Yuengling. I refuse to drink it anymore (I drink FrewBrew instead :))

The only beer that ever 'bothered' me was Heineken. Back 6-7 years ago my bro used to drink it all the time and I just couldn't hack it. I'd always end up with a killer headache....even if I didn't drink much. Heineken sucks.

Fiery Sword said:
The only beer that ever 'bothered' me was Heineken. Back 6-7 years ago my bro used to drink it all the time and I just couldn't hack it. I'd always end up with a killer headache....even if I didn't drink much. Heineken sucks.
Drank about ten Michelob Amber Bocks one night and felt like a pile of **** the next day.

Sadly and strangely, Hefeweisen gives me a bad hangover if I have more than 1 or 2. I really like them though, so it doesn't stop me from drinking em, but after one or two, I've gotta switch to something else..

Worst hangover i ever had was from a Keg of Bud Ice. :eek:
Havent had it since. Of course, its rare that i drink any kind of lite colored beer lately.

Fiery Sword said:

I had a headache in 15 minutes of drinking Heineken.

Labatt 50 Centennial, six pints of that & I crawled up the stairs to my room and was very unhappy the next day. That was a long time ago.

1. Molson. Anything Molson. I don't even know why I tried the stuff.
2. Magic Hat doesn't do well with me either.
3. Newcastle (if I have more than three I'm guaranteed a headache)

Good question. Not much gives me a hangover - only had a couple in the last year and I like a drop so to speak!

I refuse to have a hangover and power through no matter what I feel like - I have been doing this for so long I am not even sure when my last hangover was!! Trick is to ignore it. Pisses the wife off no end, she used to take to her bed for the day - or even two :D

Seriously though, a large amount of any BMC sh1te will bring it on. Or there was one night I was drinking Orkney Skull Splitter followed up by Elephant Beer and shots but I think it was the mixture that was my downfall. (ended up in the pub by lunchtime the next day to "recover". :eek:

I got terribly torn up on Blue Moon last week and let me tell you, corriander does NOT taste as good being burped up at 8:00AM as is does sliding down the night before! Aside from this, I haven't had many hangovers since only buying "the good stuff".

From awhile back:

Red Dog in the tall cans or anything in a 40oz bottle.

Anyone remember Schlitz Red Bull? (not the energy drink) I think it was around 7%ABV. Bad things would happen when I was growing up and the Red Bull came out...:drunk:

Hmm, perhaps a "Malt Liquor" board project?
:D

Bud. I don't drink it unless there are no alternatives and it ALWAYS gives me a bad headache.

rdwj said:
Bud. I don't drink it unless there are no alternatives and it ALWAYS gives me a bad headache.

I'll second that.....even living near St. Louis. Anything that involves beechwood aging means I am going wake up feeling like there is an axe in my forehead.

Toot said:
Sadly and strangely, Hefeweisen gives me a bad hangover if I have more than 1 or 2. I really like them though, so it doesn't stop me from drinking em, but after one or two, I've gotta switch to something else..

Same with me, I had a great hefeweisen in Heidelberg--drank a respectable amount, but not an excessive amount. Felt like death warmed over the next day. Heineken is the only beer to ever make me lose my lunch, but to be fair, I had a bit too much.

I don't know that yueng ling gave me a hangover, but it was really really good... The only thing i've really gotten a hangover on is Irish Carbombs, Bud, and Corona... Took me 2 months before i could drink Guiness again, never drinking it again with Irish Creme and Irish Whiskey.... Bud well that stuff sucks so it's no wonder... Corona, i think it was all the lime that went in it... Heine usually doesn't give me a Hangover...

oh and i know another one... Milwaukee's Best (THE BEAST)... terrible headache after 2...

Henry Weinheart's root beer.

It tasted good one night, drank the 6 pack.
Woke up the next day feeling like I was partying all nite. Horrable hang over.

I now know why Snoopy feels bad after drinking lots of root beer.

Its all the sugar in it that slamms ya.
If you think I'm kiding try it.

I was in the USAF and stationed in LA back in the '80s and a buddy came back from leave with a case of some local brew with the label 'Treaty' beer (he lived in the U.P of Michigan). Three of us went on a fishing trip that first weekend and took the Treaty with us, along with some MGD.

We felt so bad Sat AM after drinking Fri night that we didn't go fishing until @ 2 PM in the afternoon. It was all I could do to keep my breakfast down, let alone carry on a conversation.

Then afterwards we had to clean our catch. Up it came, and I'm talking about that industrial waste level puke too.

Haven't had one in 20+ years but Old Style. That was the nastiest. Tasted bad going down and had a tendancy to want to escape from all orifices the next morning.

Worst ever...? The afternoon after drinking a Mickey's Ice 40oz for breakfast.... :eek: gotta love 4th of July at the lake!

Other than the malt liquors, I'd have to say that Icehouse gives some pretty bad hangovers. In my defense, I haven't drank that crap since I had an 18 pack that smelled like fish in 1998.

Now I prefer my hangovers be caused by good beer, whiskey, gin, vodka, jaeger, or some combination of those....

Spyk'd said:
I got terribly torn up on Blue Moon last week and let me tell you, corriander does NOT taste as good being burped up at 8:00AM as is does sliding down the night before! Aside from this, I haven't had many hangovers since only buying "the good stuff".

From awhile back:

Red Dog in the tall cans or anything in a 40oz bottle.

Anyone remember Schlitz Red Bull? (not the energy drink) I think it was around 7%ABV. Bad things would happen when I was growing up and the Red Bull came out...:drunk:

Hmm, perhaps a "Malt Liquor" board project?
:D

Wow, you totally took the words out of my mouth. Something about Blue Moon just doesn't agree with me. Shame because I really like the taste. If I drink just two then I am sure to wake up with a headache.

Now, as far as ghetto malt liquor. I've done my share in the past and like to revisit it now and then. Most don't give me a hangover (though Florida has a poor selection) but Hurricaine is a no-no.

Let's make my post a bit longer. Tonight two friends are coming over to help bottle. They've loved every one of my brews so far. Now it is time for a bit of fun. I'm buying a Steel Reserve today and am going to throw it in a few of my bottles. When they come over I will tell them it was an "experimental, high alcohol" brew that I tried. Yup, I'm evil. :D

One of my all-time worst hangovers ever was the St. Patrick's (big surprise!) when I drank two 750ml bottles of Duvel in a row. Absolute dog sh*t the next day, and I had to bartend.

Belgian ales in general, while delicious, are more prone to cause hangovers, I think. More stuff for your liver to deal with.

g0dolphins said:
I was in the USAF and stationed in LA back in the '80s and a buddy came back from leave with a case of some local brew with the label 'Treaty' beer (he lived in the U.P of Michigan). Three of us went on a fishing trip that first weekend and took the Treaty with us, along with some MGD.

We felt so bad Sat AM after drinking Fri night that we didn't go fishing until @ 2 PM in the afternoon. It was all I could do to keep my breakfast down, let alone carry on a conversation.

Then afterwards we had to clean our catch. Up it came, and I'm talking about that industrial waste level puke too.

If you feel like reminiscing I have a six pack of Treaty beer in my basement for you. I'm sure it still tastes as good today as when it was canned. :cross:

I can't drink Gin. Puts me to sleep in minutes and makes me feel like ass.

As for beer, I can't think of any that's a guaranteed hangover.

During my college days I bought a case of Natural Light ICE! That was the first, and only time I came anywhere close to the stuff. Now, it was nice to slam/choke down 5 beers and be drunk.

You talk about a hang over, it wasn't only in my head but my ass was paying for it the next day as well.

WORST.BEER.EVER.

Back in college Molson Golden would give me the worst headaches, now anything Bud does it, must be the rice:D . Good reason not to drink that P***.

Back