Planting Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerzeek

Reaction score
Hi,
I have my trellis and supports built and am ready to plant my rhizomes.

Does anyone know the depth and orientation to plant the rhizomes? Should the rhizome be parallel or perpendicular to the ground surface?

Thanks

They should be paralell to the surface and once they begin to climb it's best that they face south or west. I plan on planting them in mounds but only about 2 inches below the surface.

you could plant them upside down( jk) they grow crazy fast be ready to get overwhelmed. i use string left to right to keep the height down.

The rhizome should be parallel to the surface plane, with the sprouts (tiny white bits) pointed UP. I believe 1 inch is the recommended depth.

Freshops has lots of good info on their website.

EDIT: you guys are fast!

sounds good i start mine in rock wool then about three weeks i just dig a hole twice the size of my rock wool.. good luck

It really doesnt matter the orientation (horizontal or vertical) nor the depth. Point the buds (if there are any) up and put it 1"-5" in the ground. Water and watch grow!

Also check out the Hops Growing Forum (if the mods dont move this topic there) for tons of advice on growing hops.

Latest posts

Back