Temp Control For Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PT Ray

Reaction score
Got hold hold of a scratch-n-dent freezer the other week to add to the herd. This one I decided to fabricate a digital temp controller. My work started with the RiteTemp 6020 digital t-stat in part due to the info found on the DIY temp controller build thread.

So went to Depot and picked up the t-stat

edc6085a-17fa-4837-9e87-51f8e8bc32c3_300.jpg

Pulled the thermistor and measured the value (50K) in order to build a remote probe. I found a 50k thermistor probe from Digi Key

CWF3AA503G3950_tmb.JPG

And this for a backup in-case my first didn't work out:

MF52C1503F3950_tmb.JPG

I soldered it up to 6 foot piece of wire and put a 2.5mm plug on the other end. Mounted a jack on the font of the controller.

T-Stat.JPE

The t-stat is powered via a transformer-relay combo normally used on your blower on an ac unit. It supplies the 24vac for the t-stat and has the relay for your line voltage.

2E852.JPG

Once I pulled the original t-stat it made some room to mount the j-box for the controller.

Relay-Transformer.JPG

I used the the original location for the old probe to mount the remote thermistor.

Probe%20Location.JPG

Looking back it may have been easier just to get a Love controller but live and learn.

Back