porter recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
i was thinking of making a porter with left over grains and this is what i came up with, i used the specs for a baltic porter.

Any suggestions?
Alcohol
6.0% A.B.V.
4.7% A.B.W.
Original Gravity 1.060

Final Gravity 1.015

Color36° SRM (Black)
8 lbs. of 2 Row Base Malt
1/2 lb. of Special B Malt
1 lb. of Crystal 120L Malt
1/2 lb. of Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. of smoked Malt
1/4 lb. of Black patent

ibu should be at least 20. i know how to calculate ibu's but not really sure what would be a good hop profile

as for hops i have in my freezer 1 oz chinnook, 2 oz willamette, 1 oz vanguard, 1 oz sterling, 1 oz golding

again any help would be greatly appreciated

Okay, first things first: Reduce your Crystal malts.

Special B and 120L Crystal are slightly different, but you're talking 15% of the grist in an instance where I don't recommend exceeding 10% with a much lighter Crystal (~60L). Stick with your amounts and you'll end up with a sticky mess that tastes like burnt toffee. Delete the 120L entirely and replace with 12 oz to a full pound of 60L. Reduce Special B to no more than 4 oz or, if using a pound of 60L, delete it entirely.

Second, it is my personal opinion that smoked malt is loathsome, wretched stuff. If you must use it, go ahead, but on your head be it. I don't think it's appropriate in Porter as a style, either, Alaskan be damned. ;)

Hops: You've got the perfect combination in your Chinook and Willamette. Use the Chinook to bitter; target a BU:GU ratio of ~0.5-0.7 (to compute BU:GU ratio, divide the IBU by the last two digits of the estimated OG). Add the Willamette in two charges: 1 oz for flavor and 1 oz at flameout for aroma.

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

Bob's given you some great advice, and I second the Chinook/Willamette combo. For most of my porters and stouts, I use a Chinook / Fuggles combo. Lately I've been messing with some Pacific Gem and that's been pretty fine too.

If those are the only two crystal malts you have, I'd use at most 1/2 pound of only one of them. Maybe even only 4-6 oz. If you have something lighter, than you could use more.

OR, you could skip the roasted malts (except maybe 2 oz) and brew yourself a Belgian Dark - if you have the right yeast available. NO smoke of course.

Back