OneStep No Rinse Cleanser and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythe84

Reaction score
Tonight was the first time that I have cold pitched the yeast. After I poured the yeast into the 1/3 cup of cooled boiled water (as directed), I cleaned the end of a spoon with OneStep Cleanser and began stirring. Seconds later I realized that this may have been a mistake. My concern is that since the OneStep cleanser kills bacteria, that it will have killed my yeast. Only a few drops would have gotten in there, but maybe that is all it takes. Do you think this is a problem? Is there anything that I can do to save this batch of brew?

Also along these lines, is it important to allow the slight wetness of the Cleanser to dry before they come in contact with your brew? For example, I have been cleansing my primary almost immmediately before adding the cooled wort, (even though the primary bucket is still a little damp with cleanser). I also to the same with the stirring spoon before I stir the cooled wort (dip it into cleanser, shake it off, then stir).

I am still new to this and just want to know if this is going to be detrimental to my brew...

Please help...

No Worries. I use OneStep religiously. I hear that there are much better cleansers out there, but I have never had a single problem so I never tried any others. I am not that meticulous when it comes to drying off spoons, bottles, and tubing but I always soak them prior to using. Most of the time my equipment is still wet when I use it. I think you will be fine. You just made beer. :(

Yep, that is what it is made for. No problem. It is actually better to use the stuff wet cuz if you let it dry then microbes can come to rest on it.

Back