Tech Help - Wireless Router

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I know that there are better forums out there than a bunch of beer drinkers to ask about tech issues. But I have a problem that I thought maybe someone here might be able to help with.

I have a wireless router at home that is terrible. We used to have a linksys wireless router that worked pretty well, but it fizzled out after a few years, so I replaced it. I picked up a Netgear router, and it had done an okay job for the first few months that we used it.

Recently though, we've been losing our connection 2-3 times an hour. I contacted the tech people there, and they had me reconfigure a few things, and it sucks even more now.

Now, it takes longer to start up when we open our laptops, the signal is weak, and we still lose our connection intermittantly. Also, it seems that our iPhones will not connect to it wirelessly. The other thing that I use the router for is for XBOX360 connection online, but that is a wired connection, and I haven't notice any real difficulty with that.

Is this a case where I simply have a crappy router with crappy technology? Is there a specific type of router I should look into getting for what we are using it for? Is this a case where I just need to further reconfigure the router (if so, does anyone know anything about that?)?

Thanks for any help.

Do you know if it is a A, B, G, or N router (8.011a, etc)? To be honest, I have always had problems with the a's and b's. I recently purchased a Belkin N Router and I am very impressed with the strenght of signal and connectivity. I hate to have you buy something new, but you might want to think about upgrading.

The N routers are known for media rather than just files, so you will have no problems with streaming media and some of the other web 2.0 stuff.

I've never had a problem with any router I've used, but I've never messed with any settings other than to add a password.

Have you tried resetting it to the factory defaults, or downloading firmware updates?

I have a Netgear WND3300 wireless N+ router and it's the shiznit. I used to have a US Robotics wireless G that couldn't "see" through a single wall.

The Netgear allows me to go anywher on my property (big city lot).

I wonder if maybe you are using a Legacy connection. My laptop has an internal wireless G adapter that was barely good for 54Mb/s so, I got a USB wireless N adapeter and now have 270Mb/s connection speeds and have somehow managed to get an XP machine to network to a Vista machine.

So, I say either you have a legacy connection speed, a crap wireless adapter, or a poorly configured router.

Told you!;)

Our linksys works 4 doors down, most houses have 1/2 acre yards.

It works in our basement and in the car driving away halfway down the street.

It was $54

I believe I have an N router (not sure as I am at work right now). The model is the Netgear WNR2000.
We are using two laptops with Windows XP. The house is from 1930 and has plaster walls, so I imagine that might play a roll in a poor signal, but we are having problems with connection when we are in the same room as the router, so there are other problems than the walls.

I'm not sure what a legacy connection is. I'll have to google that.

One possibility is that you're on a channel that is being interferred with by something else. Cordless phone sounds like the most obvious culprit if you're doing fine most of the time, but then lose it a few times a day. Anytime the phone gets used (may be a neighbor's phone), it knocks you off.

Try going into the router's setup and change the channel you're using and see if that helps.

I believe I have an N router (not sure as I am at work right now). The model is the Netgear WNR2000.
We are using two laptops with Windows XP. The house is from 1930 and has plaster walls, so I imagine that might play a roll in a poor signal, but we are having problems with connection when we are in the same room as the router, so there are other problems than the walls.

I'm not sure what a legacy connection is. I'll have to google that.

Basically, I am using the term "lagacy" as in older than wireless N. Most all wirelss N routers can still connect with a G adapter but at a MUCH, MUCH slower speed than hardwired. If the internal adapaters on the laptops are wireless G then that is your max connection (unless you get a USB adapter). Weakest link kind of thing.

One possibility is that you're on a channel that is being interferred with by something else. Cordless phone sounds like the most obvious culprit if you're doing fine most of the time, but then lose it a few times a day. Anytime the phone gets used (may be a neighbor's phone), it knocks you off.

Try going into the router's setup and change the channel you're using and see if that helps.

+1 to this. Excellent point. See if there is a correlation to getting knocked off. Cordless phone use, cell phone, hell even the microwave "can" interfere.

Also, check to see if you have a static IP and DNS or if you are set to receive those dynamically. I had that issue at startup on mine. ISP is dynamic and the router was set to static. Worked fine until my ISP changed my IP.

Basically, I am using the term "lagacy" as in older than wireless N. Most all wirelss N routers can still connect with a G adapter but at a MUCH, MUCH slower speed than hardwired. If the internal adapaters on the laptops are wireless G then that is your max connection (unless you get a USB adapter). Weakest link kind of thing.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I totally understand now. My laptop is about 4 years old and my wife's is about 3, so that might be the culprit.

Still, the iPhones not connecting to the router is weird. They were working fine until the tech guy had me change some settings.

I will have to atleast change the channel in case the neighbor is using a cordless phone.

If the tech guys settings made things worse I would do a hard reset on the router and get everything back to the factory settings. Then start trouble shooting with the other stuff that has been mentioned in this thread.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I totally understand now. My laptop is about 4 years old and my wife's is about 3, so that might be the culprit.

Still, the iPhones not connecting to the router is weird. They were working fine until the tech guy had me change some settings.

I will have to atleast change the channel in case the neighbor is using a cordless phone.

Your neighbor could also be using a router on the same channel too.

My old router had a horrible reception, with it I knew my direct neighbor was wireless. withe the new router I find dang near the whole hood is wireless. Even had to notify a neghbor or two that their pants were down (in taht they had an open network).

I would start by changing the channel. Try a few. This can make a huge difference. I've had good luck with my Netgear products. I've actually had many people claim that some newer Linksys routers have performed poorly.

Good to know. Thanks Homer. I probably would have looked at another Linksys if I can't troubleshoot this one.

I agree with Homer, change the channel but to get your iPhone to connect you will most likely need a factory reset on the router. If you do this change your channel afterwards. Sounds like the tech guy had you change encrypt. settings that is usually one of the first things and can mess with Xbox, iPhones, etc ...

One thing that helped my intermittent problems was to setup preferred IP addresses to each device. I don't know why DHCP was being stupid, but the connection is rock solid now.

I have had a few flaky netgear routers, they tended to overheat and reset every hour or so. see how warm it is and if its pretty toasty, try turning it on its side if it had one of those stands with it. if its in an enclosed area or something, it may help to move it.

Also, you would try repositioning the antennas but I find that this usually doesn't help too much in most cases.

I second the advice on changing the channel, but I would check how how it is first cause that's less configuring

I know this sounds strange but it could be your cable modem or FIOS box and not your Wireless. Sometimes those boxes just get flaky... maybe there is less juice on your cable. Did you recently install a new TV? Did someone recently build a new house nearby? Also, there was recently a vulnerability published for certain cable boxes, which would allow the attacker to take control of the modem. This is always a possibility.

I would call your provider and have them check the box. I am not saying it IS the box, just that... it happens.

Start with the basics. Try a power cycle on the router if you have not yet. Sometimes I lose power and it corrupts the router boot process. Undo the changes that the help desk had you perform if you can remember. Try changing to each of the following channels 1, 6, 11 and test the results. This should give you the best channel isolation if there is a conflicting signal. Turn your iPhone on and log in to your router with your laptop to look for a list of connected/available devices. Your router may "see" the iPhone on the network. It may be a config issue if the router locates the phone but the phone can't connect. Note - you can also detect any unauthorized devices if they are connected using this approach. Factory reset is an good option if you don't remember all the settings you changed. Tech may have messed you up if he asked you to monkey with the approved devices settings etc. Keep in mind when you troubleshoot you only want to change one setting at a time and test the results.

Here's another caveat: Make sure all of your devices can use the encryption method you assign. Some older devices might not be able to use the newer encryptions. This, of course, is after you get it running solid.

+1 to this. Excellent point. See if there is a correlation to getting knocked off. Cordless phone use, cell phone, hell even the microwave "can" interfere.

Also, check to see if you have a static IP and DNS or if you are set to receive those dynamically. I had that issue at startup on mine. ISP is dynamic and the router was set to static. Worked fine until my ISP changed my IP.

On the cordless phone question make sure that your router and phone are not running on the same frequency. Ie 2.7 Ghz. You can also adjust the channel to another channel in your set up. I live in a house that was built in 1910 and can get wifi throughout the house. i am on a Qwest Q1000 modem.

The linksys I use has 4 computers, a squeezebox and dau Touch ... has been the rock, for over 1 year, and good range...

I have no close neighbors/electrical interference...so I am lucky

Cell's can't interfere, they operate on a different FRQ than B/G/N wireless.

BGN is 2.4GHz
A operates on 5.8GHz.
Microwaves operate centered around 2.4Ghz

Cordless phones tend to operate at 49MHz(older than dirt) 900Mhz(old) or 2.4GHz and 5.8Ghz for modern phones.

Cells operate on a variety of frq depending on type and mode.
700MHz,850MHz,1.7Ghz,1.9GHz,2.1GHz,

Get NetStumbler, it will use your wireless card to scan the things it can pick up and show you what channels and names every detectable wireless AP/router is on. you can then select one which has the weakest signal to use its channel for your own device.

Back