Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put in the grain order at the LHBS. Going to be using Magnum (since I have a ton in the freezer) to bitter with instead of Perle. Will be using tettnang also. I have a pinch of Nugget hops left. Do you think I could sub in a pinch of that with Magnum (if needed to hit the ibus) as the first wort addition?

A pinch of Nugget hops isn't going to do anything noticeable in my opinion except add bitterness, although I've never done FWH. Nugget is so bitter, that's all you're going to get if you add it early in the boil (it's very useful for that)

A pinch of Nugget hops isn't going to do anything noticeable in my opinion except add bitterness, although I've never done FWH. Nugget is so bitter, that's all you're going to get if you add it early in the boil (it's very useful for that)

Yeah I may just add the pinch then (plus a pinch of Magnum if needed). Long story short I have some older hops in the chest freezer that need to be used ;)

Bottled this a few days ago and I'll be honest. This was not anywhere near my favorite recipe. It's way too malty and way too hoppy imo. This might've been better paired with a German lager yeast (Wyeast 2124) instead of Chico and mashed LOW (147F). That would dry it out a good bit more and I think it'd be drinkable at that point. Somethings just "off" with this. Anywho I also brewed Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops cream ale right after this brew day. That is a different breed altogether. It honestly reminds me a good bit of PBR. I may be one of the few that didn't care for this but I at least wanted to throw around some constructive criticism ;)

Just sampled my first bottle after having it sit in the fridge overnight. WOW! Nice and malty, but not too malty. Nice hops character. Definitely not an average tasting BMC style beer! Thinking next time around when I brew this, I might get a little crazy and see what would happen if I switched up the grain bill and went with 7 pounds of Pilsner and 3 pounds of Vienna while keeping the hops the same.

Just brewed this on Mon with K97, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I overshot the OG a little though, I came in at 1.052. We'll see how it goes in a few weeks.
Oops, never mind. I just re-read the original post and saw that I'm .002 under. Regardless, I'm still excited to see how it turns out.

Oops, never mind. I just re-read the original post and saw that I'm .002 under. Regardless, I'm still excited to see how it turns out.

Geez, ".002 under". Whom, but you, would know? These hydrometer readings are not "hard and fast", "set in stone" numbers. Everyone's equipment, setup, brewing, etc are different. If we get close, then this is good enough.

Geez, ".002 under". Whom, but you, would know? These hydrometer readings are not "hard and fast", "set in stone" numbers. Everyone's equipment, setup, brewing, etc are different. If we get close, then this is good enough.
I agree, just admitting my error in my previous post. I'm still excited to see how this turns out.

7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Sparge to get boil volume. Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 62 degrees. Add yeast, and ferment at 62 for 14 days. Rack into secondary, or keg, and crash cool until clear.

This beer was not originally mine- I found it somewhere here, but can't find the thread of who posted it. Will the real recipe-czar please confess? I made a few changes, to match my supplies, but other yeast strains can be used. German Ale yeast, at a cool ale temperature, would be wonderful. This beer tastes like a more flavorfull BMC.

Beersmith file: View attachment 11329

Due to my long and low temp mash, it finished at 1.008, lower than my goal of about 1.010-1.012. I thought it might be too dry, but it actually turned out perfect!

I haven't made this exact beer, but my experiences over the years creating various lagers shows that vienna malt and tettnang hops are two winners. If I made this beer, the only change I'd make is to sub S-189 for the yeast and ferment cold. I don't see specs for this one, but keep OG under 1.050 if you want a crushable pilsner.

[edit] woops, recipe calls for 1.054. That's at my high end for a crushable pilsner.

I just finished brewing this today. BIAB brewer -10.76 gal into the fermenter. Used BIABacus and Brun Water spreadsheets for calculations.

Something went wrong. My gravity into boil and Original Gravity were exactly spot on. Gravity into boil=1.051. OG= 1.054
I don't know what I did wrong. That's not usually like me.

In reality, I thought my little solar pump died, but cleaning it fixed it.
Then, my CFC blew a pipe - one of the 3/4" cooling pipes split and I had to fix that. It still had a small leak on the solder job, but I can fix that later.

Other than the fixing/maintenance items, the beer was right where it should be. Hoping it tastes as well as the luck o' the numbers came out.

Came in at 1.009 for 2 days straight so I kegged it up. Crashed and gelatin fined in the keg, 30# for a day then down to 12# like the others in that fridge. Still needs a little more time to develop a head and finish clearing up but tasty as all get out. Definitely a lawnmower beer but with a malty backbone. I will be brewing this again.
20210410_182720.jpg

I just kegged 10 gallons of Fizzy Yellow Beer. It's been many months since I brewed last. I'm wondering if I might have had an infection. It smelled like a combination of something sort of like apple cider vinegar (but then that smell would come and go) and bread when I took the fermenter lid off.

OG was 1.054. FG was 1.006. This worries me.

I also had an issue right at the beginning of fermenting. It was the first time using my new DIY Fermentrack controller and like a dimwit, didn't really verify everything first. Well, the controller worked perfect. But I used a temp probe in the fermenter/beer that was connected to my old CraftbeerPi3 controller. Obviously that ain't going to work. The temp probe for the Fermentrack controller was dangling in the ambient air and it turned on the heat. And kept it on since the temp probe wasn't in the beer. It got up to about 75F before I realized what happened. I cooled it as fast as I could with the DIY chiller. It took between 1-2 hours to get it back down to 62F.

There were some chunks of white floating to the top and then dropping again during transfer to the kegs. I don't remember seeing anything like this with my previous brews.

Some video of the floaties

Last edited:
I meant --
The last beer I brewed was last year. I have only been brewing a couple times per year, so I don't have a lot of memory transferred from one brew to the next.

This Fizzy Yellow Beer was in the fermenter for 2 weeks. After that initial mistake when the temp went up to 75 immediately after putting in the fermenter and pitching yeast, it was at 62F for two weeks.

It's kegged now.

I guess I need to get me some vienna. I have MO and some aromatic, or victory do you think either would be a good approximation? Also has anyone fermented this with any of the kveiks?

This might also be an excellent base for a Honey Blonde. Thanks :mug:

I'll be brewing a 4 gallon beer based on this tomorrow; 5 pounds of Vienna, 3 pounds of pilsner, I'm not sure what hops yet probably Crystal, and K-97 German ale yeast. I haven't brewed in 6 months, I hope I remember how :)

I brewed something very close to this on Saturday; (used Northern Brewer and German Tradition hops) I also didn't have enough Vienna malt and substituted a little Munich. I was a little concerned it would be too strong and heavy for a summer beer. My efficiency was way off and it came in at 1.045 OG. With K-97 yeast it'll probably end up about 4.8 or 5%. I'll need to figure out what I screwed up to get 65% efficiency instead of my usual 75%, but it should be a good lawnmower beer. I'll put it up in big bottles :)

Lawnmower beer at 5%? Perhaps, best to insure your toes before attempting to verify the hypothesis.

And according to my hydrometer, it has finisher fermenting already, 88% attenuation. The lag time after I pitched the yeast was a little over 24 hours, then it just exploded. I need to get it out of the bucket and into a carboy (I'll add a tablespoon of sugar to scavenge the oxygen it picks up during the transfer), and it might be ready to bottle in a few days.

I think I pitched too much yeast. :)

I bought the exact recipe other than my local HB shop only had German Pilsner not Uk Pilsner going to brew with regular bottle water my sisters well has too much magnesium. Hopefully it turns out great. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Sparge to get boil volume. Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 62 degrees. Add yeast, and ferment at 62 for 14 days. Rack into secondary, or keg, and crash cool until clear.

This beer was not originally mine- I found it somewhere here, but can't find the thread of who posted it. Will the real recipe-czar please confess? I made a few changes, to match my supplies, but other yeast strains can be used. German Ale yeast, at a cool ale temperature, would be wonderful. This beer tastes like a more flavorfull BMC.

Beersmith file: View attachment 11329

Due to my long and low temp mash, it finished at 1.008, lower than my goal of about 1.010-1.012. I thought it might be too dry, but it actually turned out perfect!
Brewing now and hit 153 mash added 1/2 gallon cold water and now I’m 146 ? Help

And according to my hydrometer, it has finisher fermenting already, 88% attenuation. The lag time after I pitched the yeast was a little over 24 hours, then it just exploded. I need to get it out of the bucket and into a carboy (I'll add a tablespoon of sugar to scavenge the oxygen it picks up during the transfer), and it might be ready to bottle in a few days.

I think I pitched too much yeast. :)
This turned out to be a nice beer. It's amber instead of yellow because of the Munich, and the one I drank too early was watery, but a week later it really came around. I would brew this again.

My previous attempt was band aid city. Finally figured out the issues with my brews and that was Chloramines. Campden has fixed that for over a year now so whew! Put in a grain order for this just now and US-05 is not in the plans here. Thinking something along the lines of Imperial G-03, aka WLP029, fermented around 60F. Mainly because it's a tad "crisper" than US-05 and clears pretty fast. That is unless US-05 really is just the bee's knee's for this recipe. Has anyone tried this with Imperial G-03/WLP029?

Edit: I also have 1007 on hand and can try that per Yoopers original recommendation. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I do this recipe with WY1007. I loves me my WY1007. It's my fav. It is whispy, but I don't need super clarity. This recipe does very well with WY1007.

PS in case I'm being obtuse, I like WY1007.

I do this recipe with WY1007. I loves me my WY1007. It's my fav. It is whispy, but I don't need super clarity. This recipe does very well with WY1007.

PS in case I'm being obtuse, I like WY1007.
Josh Weikert the guy how formulates a lot of the recipes for Craft Beer & Brewing is also a big fan of WY1007.
Recommends it for loads of beers that need a neutral yeast.

Josh Weikert the guy how formulates a lot of the recipes for Craft Beer & Brewing is also a big fan of WY1007.

Ok ok ok....Lol Sounds like the consensus here is USE WYEAST 1007 ;) I'll get that started from the freezer bank this evening. Think 60F would be a good ferment temp or should I shoot for 55F? This will be a 2 liter pitch.

Yup. I've done a couple from that series by him. The Dry Irish Stout is killer, for one instance.

Ok ok ok....Lol Sounds like the consensus here is USE WYEAST 1007 ;) I'll get that started from the freezer bank this evening. Think 60F would be a good ferment temp or should I shoot for 55F? This will be a 2 liter pitch.

I'd do 60F. It's what I always set WY1007 at. 60F until I see the exotherm, then I'll ramp over 48hr to 68.
I've also just held at 60F for a week or two.
1637264235431.png

Yup. I've done a couple from that series by him. The Dry Irish Stout is killer, for one instance.

I'd do 60F. It's what I always set WY1007 at. 60F until I see the exotherm, then I'll ramp over 48hr to 68.
I've also just held at 60F for a week or two.
View attachment 749372

When it comes to ale yeasts what I'll do is give it 72 hours at whatever temp I'm fermenting at then step it up one degree per farenheit each day until it hits 68F. After a day at 68F it goes out of the chamber and sits at room temp for a week. That's probably a bit overkill though since Marshal (Brulosophy) goes 48 hours at ferment temp, with a heavy pitch, then ramps the temp up with no concern when it comes to ale yeasts lol

Brewed this yesterday and pitched yeast about 24 hours ago now. Got 78% efficiency and used Wyeast 1007. I saw minimal activity around 12 hours. 24 hours though and there’s a very small layer of krausen. Really excited to see how this turns out!

Well this was kegged yesterday. 1007 is a pretty slow yeast but from experience it's nice as long as you can cold condition (aka lager) the beer. Luckily this is using a floating dip tube and I'll be hitting the keg with gelatin tomorrow and giving that two weeks or so. Essentially want this beer ready for Christmas :) Will make sure to take pics and post the outcome! So far this is much better than my last venture brewing this!

Taste tested this morning and it’s not bad! Wyeast 1007 was a great fit for this recipe! Still needs some cold conditioning and settling time with the gelatin. Should be ready by Christmas Eve hopefully :)

Just kicked the keg last night. This wasn't bad but it was a bit much for me personally. I'm going to try rebrewing this, but, flip the Pilsner and Vienna malt weights. I did like the hop schedule and everything else about it. It's just Vienna was a bit too malty for my tastes

Back