Opinion with new recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
I don't have Beersmith or ProMash so does anyone see any issues with this?

10 Gallons

20lbs Canadian Malting 2-row
2lbs Carahell
1lb toasted malt (350 degrees, 10min)

Mash @ 154 for 60min
Mash out @ 170 for 10min

4oz Cascade - 60min
1/2oz Simcoe - 15min
1/2oz Warrior - 15min
1/2oz Simcoe - 10min
1/2oz Warrior - 10min
1/2oz Simcoe - 5min
1/2oz Warrior - 5min
1/2oz Simcoe - end
1/2oz Warrior - end
Wyeast American Ale

Opinions would be much appreciated.

If you are trying for an American Pale, it looks pretty good to me. I would probably swap the cascades and the warriors, I think the cascade aroma would match better with the simcoes and warrior is a great clean bittering hop.

Yep, seems like a waste to use such a good flavor/aroma hop at 60 minutes, especially since it's the lowest AA hop that you're using. I agree with Oldsock about subbing the Warrior in as your bittering hop.

How about leave the aroma and flavor alone and replace the 4oz of cascade with 2 oz of warrior? I have a pale ale here now with vangard and cascade as flavor and aroma and I want something completely different to compare.

Whatcha think?

I can't find much on Warrior's use as a aroma hop but NB has this "With its citrus-and-spice character it also does well as a finishing hop." Sounds pretty good to me, let us know how it turns out.

How about leave the aroma and flavor alone and replace the 4oz of cascade with 2 oz of warrior? I have a pale ale here now with vangard and cascade as flavor and aroma and I want something completely different to compare.

Whatcha think?

Sounds like a perfectly great idea. Let us know how it turns out.

Back