First GF home brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! I have no reason to brew GF, but I want to brew a GF batch here in the future just to learn more about it and the ingredients. Maybe I'l start with that recipe. Cheers!

Looks good! I have no reason to brew GF, but I want to brew a GF batch here in the future just to learn more about it and the ingredients. Maybe I'l start with that recipe. Cheers!

It's a great recipe by a great GF brewery. Was very tasty.

If you brew all grain and try a GF brew I would recommend Millet, buckwheat and rice. Way better than Sorghum in my opinion. Sorghum tends to have a weird tang and can be cidery.

It's a great recipe by a great GF brewery. Was very tasty.

If you brew all grain and try a GF brew I would recommend Millet, buckwheat and rice. Way better than Sorghum in my opinion. Sorghum tends to have a weird tang and can be cidery.

There's an article about gluten free brewing in the Sept/Oct issue of Zymurgy with an all millet recipe.

sorry... i know this is an old post. I found this recipe as well and am looking to try it. anything you would change or do different if you were to brew it again? Did you just trade the hops you listed one-for-one for the ones in the recipe? Thanks for the help

sorry... i know this is an old post. I found this recipe as well and am looking to try it. anything you would change or do different if you were to brew it again? Did you just trade the hops you listed one-for-one for the ones in the recipe? Thanks for the help
@kpeters45

I did modify the recipe a bit, since it is for 5 gallons and I only have the capacity/set up to do 1 or 2 gallons at a time. I will list the changes I made but know that I am just a beginner and by no means an expert, I was just experimenting and winging it.

For a 1 gallon recipe:

Fermentables:

.5 lb sorghum syrup
.25 lb lundburg rice syrup
5.4 oz of Candi Syrup D-45
4.2 oz honey
.1 lb malto

Hops:

Magnum .2oz @ 60
Citra .3oz - .1oz @ 15, .2 @ 5
Mosiac .5oz - .2oz @ 10, .3 dry hop

Hope that makes sense, I am a beginner and doing this from memory and my bad notes.

Good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions. Cheers!

I would do a few things differently, and will try them with a new batch coming up any day now. I am going to do a batch with some awesome new Spruce tip and hop pellets I got from my awesome local hops grower Chilliwack Hops.

Mostly or entirely rookie mistakes.

I didn't use enough water so I will make sure I add enough this time.

I want to find a better way to portion out the syrups, I had syrup everywhere!

I forgot to do a starting gravity.

Back