What to do with tenderloin head roast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I never know what to do with the head roast of a tenderloin. most of the time i just cube it for steak tacos. any other ideas?

I never know what to do with the head roast of a tenderloin. most of the time i just cube it for steak tacos. any other ideas?

I will usually sear it in a pan then roast it with salt, pepper, and a couple sprigs of rosemary. Then make a brandy cream sauce or something else with the fond in the pan. Add in some sort of veggie and some form of potato (I like au gratin with this) and it makes a pretty nice meal for two.

well that's an idea, but that's usually what I do with the main loin, lol

Oh, I makes filets out of the rest of it.

How about slice it up fairly thin, ~1/4", and saute it up in some butter, onion, green pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss it on a good roll.

that's a good option too - but i'm having a brisket sandwich right now for lunch...lol

i think i'll go with your first suggestion - with a brandy (or bourbon? scotch?) cream sauce, lemon risotto and maybe some green beans.

Or, while it would be a waste with tenderloin, you could make a really damn good quesadilla or teppanyaki. A lot of times I will do that with the chain off the tenderloin.

lol, well that's what i've usually done, cube it and use it for something...."normal".

this didn't have a chain, it wasn't a full-on psmo - just a supermarket mini-psmo.

Really?? You're really going to toss out an underhanded softball pitch like that???

I have several ideas of what you can do with it....

... too easy though.

Got any barley hanging around? That cut could make a killer beef mushroom barley soup.

God, now I want BMB soup. Thanks a lot.

Actually... now that you say that...

How fatty is the meat Moto? How about a stroganoff. I freakin' love that stuff if it is done right. Cube it and toss it in a slow cooker.

well, that's a fine suggestion except...

we had that for dinner wednesday....and i had the leftovers thursday...

seriously i thought you guys (well, at least cape) were stalking me? you should know this. or maybe, i eat way too much beef....

it wasn't done right though. i haven't made the real stuff in awhile.

Toss some shrimp in a hot pan for 1 minute, mix with some bread crumbs, lime juice, sriracha sauce, ginger, green onion, just a bit of honey and lots of cilantro. Slice a pocket in the roast, stuff with the shrimp, seal shut and braise, broil, bake or grill

now that's an idea!

anyway I did what i said, data's first suggestion. except i use thyme. lemon risotto turned out really well

cognac sauce didn't. deglazed with cognac, let it boil off, added some cream and let that simmer. finished with butter, and it was still really runny. didn't feel like trying to fix it with flour or starch. but, don't really know why it ended up really watery.

Back