Which two row should I buy in bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as1084

Reaction score
There is a site that I found some pretty cheap 2 row in bulk. They got Great Western and Briess at $30/50 lbs and Maris Otter at $49/55 lbs. The max shipping cost is $13 which is really cheap. I have never tried Great Western or briess and my favorite 2 row is Maris Otter. Is it worth splurging for the Maris otter? Or is the Briess and Great Western decent enough? I'm leaning towards Briess since it seams like a cheaper alternative to Maris otter. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Mainbrew.com. Its $13 shipping for where I live for the great western and Briess and $16 forth maris otter

There is a site that I found some pretty cheap 2 row in bulk. They got Great Western and Briess at $30/50 lbs and Maris Otter at $49/55 lbs. The max shipping cost is $13 which is really cheap. I have never tried Great Western or briess and my favorite 2 row is Maris Otter. Is it worth splurging for the Maris otter? Or is the Briess and Great Western decent enough? I'm leaning towards Briess since it seams like a cheaper alternative to Maris otter. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Well... Maris Otter isn't *exactly* the same as brewer's 2-row or American "Pale Malt". They are a bit different... Maris Otter is English pale malt, and has a noticeable "breadier" taste than american pale or plain 2-row...

Well... Maris Otter isn't *exactly* the same as brewer's 2-row or American "Pale Malt". They are a bit different... Maris Otter is English pale malt, and has a noticeable "breadier" taste than american pale or plain 2-row...

Yea your right. I should have said Maris is my fav base malt. Anyways, is Briess a decent malt?

Both Briess and Great Western are good base malts. You can still do the american style with Maris Otter but they are great with Domestic 2-row to, so I'd save the money. But $49 + $16 shipping for 55lbs of Maris Otter is a great price.

I've used 150 lbs of plain old Briess 2 row brewers malt this year. Works well for what I normally brew.

Looks like the same price I pay locally though.

I've used 150 lbs of plain old Briess 2 row brewers malt this year. Works well for what I normally brew.

Looks like the same price I pay locally though.

Yea I live in Vegas and it isnt considered a homebrew hot spot lol. The only hbs we have here is a tiny 400 sq feet that doesn't sell grain in bulk. So I gotta buy online. But the owner is a really nice guy. He offered to mill grain for free, even if I don't buy from him. He charges $15 for 10 lbs of basic 2 row. So I'm going to just buy my base malt online and just buy my specialty malts, yeast and hops from him so I can keep giving him my business.

will your local guy order it for you? He might get pretty competitive if he doesn't have to stock it hoping for a sale.

That's true. I haven't asked him before, but I'm sure he will have no problem with it. I'm going to ask him if he can quote me on the price before he puts the order in. Hopefully he'll sell it to me at his cost. Thanks.

I think that's a good choice. I use Briess and I really like it. I have always been happy with the results.
On another note Briess makes a wonderful 'pesticide free' version of the same 2-row if you're a purist. I usually spend the extra for it.

Back