Help 5 Weeks to a Wedding What can I brew ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwoodforge

Reaction score
Ok, I've been asked to bing some home brew to a wedding, in just 5 short weeks, I'm thinking something Irish, But Not Stout ( the bride is an Irish Red ...) Any Suggestions ? I need something that will finish fast and please the masses including some BMC type fellers.

Help

Jens :mug:

Something low gravity would be good as it will ferment out quickly. It would also then be low hopped for balance and that would mean it wouldn't need a lot of time for the flavors to meld. I think a Blonde Ale would be good and if you wanted it to be red, add 2 to 3 ounces of roasted barley.

6.5 pounds Pale malt
0.5 pounds Crystal 20L
0.2 pounds Roasted Barley

Willamette hops 5%AA (or similar - EKG, etc.)
1/2 oz full boil, 1/4 ounce at 20 min and 5 min.

WLP001 or 1056 yeast

Nothing fancy and should be quite drinkable.

Something low gravity would be good as it will ferment out quickly. It would also then be low hopped for balance and that would mean it wouldn't need a lot of time for the flavors to meld. I think a Blonde Ale would be good and if you wanted it to be red, add 2 to 3 ounces of roasted barley.

6.5 pounds Pale malt
0.5 pounds Crystal 20L
0.2 pounds Roasted Barley

Willamette hops 5%AA
1/2 oz full boil, 1/4 ounce at 20 min and 5 min.

WLP001 or 1056 yeast
zippo.bmp

Nothing fancy and should be quite drinkable.
THX

Anything hoppy that I have ever brewed has been perfectly drinkable within 2 weeks of brewday, including a recent DIPA that was 8.5% abv that used a pound and a half of hops.

I'd go hefe too- but lets not rule out old predicable brown ale. Fast, easy, and most recognizable to the unenlightened beer masses. I use it often to transition people "Here, have you ever had a Sam Adams or Brooklyn Brown Ale"? Most people have, and enjoy what you offer once it's been categorized along with something from their own personal experience.
Hefe is awesome (I'm brewing one in the morning), but for those out there in beer drinking jail- a cloudy beer can be a hard sell. (I love when you tell people that its yeast, and they act like yeast is the last thing that should be in beer).

I definitely am in with the hefe votes. Particularly since I'm absolutely in love with my first batch of Ed Worts hefe recipe which I kegged just 4 days ago after 11 days in primary and a day of crash cooling (which helped it not be too cloudy). If you have the ability and hardware, you might consider doing two batches: first a brown or blonde you can ferment for 10 days max and then age for about 3 weeks and then a hefe that you can brew 3 weeks before "magic time".

Hefeweizen, wheat beer, weissbier, wit... you get the idea.

ChrisKennedy said:
Anything hoppy that I have ever brewed has been perfectly drinkable within 2 weeks of brewday, including a recent DIPA that was 8.5% abv that used a pound and a half of hops.

You could never produce this beer in two weeks and have it drinkable.

BakerStreetBeers said:
I definitely am in with the hefe votes. Particularly since I'm absolutely in love with my first batch of Ed Worts hefe recipe which I kegged just 4 days ago after 11 days in primary and a day of crash cooling (which helped it not be too cloudy). If you have the ability and hardware, you might consider doing two batches: first a brown or blonde you can ferment for 10 days max and then age for about 3 weeks and then a hefe that you can brew 3 weeks before "magic time".

Thats a good idea- two beers is Always better than one- and in that order- you could pull it all off.
incidentally, I'm brewing that same hefe this morning- with a few slight changes to include corrander and orange peel. And I'm thinking about a protein rest- but really its just to practice the procedure.

Edit: That should read "Two beers are always better than one". (Don't want to offend anyone). jk.

I don't like wheat beers (I guess I'm in the minority!), particularly hefes, so I would say a cream ale or a blonde would be good in 5 weeks. Low hopped, low gravity, and it should be fine. Some people do love hefes, though, or wits (think Blue Moon) and that should appeal to the masses.

I LOVE IPAs and bigger highly hopped beers, but 5 weeks just isn't enough time.

Oakwoodforge said:
Ok, I've been asked to bing some home brew to a wedding, in just 5 short weeks, I'm thinking something Irish, But Not Stout ( the bride is an Irish Red ...) Any Suggestions ? I need something that will finish fast and please the masses including some BMC type fellers.

Help

Jens :mug:
++++ on the German Hefe. You can brew that in 7 to 10 days and go straight to the bottle. That's one of the few styles I brew that does not get a secondary. After all the yeast flavor is the main charcter of the beer.

ChrisKennedy said:
A pound an a half? (5gals) Typically you can't taste over 100IBU's so I don't know why you wasted all those hops/money. Next there's no way that tasted good considering you gave it no time for the alcohol or bitterness to mellow.

To the OP, german hefe or wit, both drinkable very quickly. Also keep the gravity down.

You could certainly do a 1.050ish Irish Red if you still wanted to do that. It should be popular around the crowd because it is clean and a bit sweet and because it honors the bride.

I know a lot of people that do not care for hefeweizens, even if they like other wheat beers, due to the esters and phenols. Then, there are the folks that do not like the taste of wheat in beer. It is not a great beer for a large crowd special event. If you wanted to have it alongside the Red, then go for it.

TL

TexLaw said:
You could certainly do a 1.050ish Irish Red if you still wanted to do that. It should be popular around the crowd because it is clean and a bit sweet and because it honors the bride.

I know a lot of people that do not care for hefeweizens, even if they like other wheat beers, due to the esters and phenols. Then, there are the folks that do not like the taste of wheat in beer. It is not a great beer for a large crowd special event. If you wanted to have it alongside the Red, then go for it.

TL
+1. OP asked for a beer for a wedding that BMC drinkers might like and possibly something Irish in honor of the bride. Although Hefes are getting popular, possibly due to Blue Moon, enough people don't like wheat in their beer that I can't imagine it as a crowd pleaser for the masses. An Irish Red (or a faux one like I posted above by adding RB) would be more in line with what BMC drinkers would like and it has a story behind it since it is being brewed in honor of the bride.

Want to make a red and a hefe? Do like my homebrewing friend did for his wedding. He made two beers for his wedding, a cream ale and an IPA. He served the IPA at the rehearsal dinner where his closest friends were - people that know he brews, have tasted his brews in the past more than the rest of his regular wedding guests, and would appreciate it the most. Then he brought the leftovers from that (barely a gallon) and the cream ale to the wedding.

I agree with TL and Bearcat. An Irish Red, Cream Ale, Pale Ale or Bitter could easily be ready in five weeks time. I'd avoid the hefe only b/c most BMC'ers won't drink it unless you twist their arms. I'm serving an Oktoberfest and a hoppy pale ale at my wedding in September. If I were in your situation, I'd shoot for the Irish Red or Cream Ale.

Are you a single man, Oakwoodforge?
Go with what the ladies enjoy, BMCers be damned!

Otherwise, the arguments for other styles are compelling.

z987k said:
A pound an a half? (5gals) Typically you can't taste over 100IBU's so I don't know why you wasted all those hops/money. Next there's no way that tasted good considering you gave it no time for the alcohol or bitterness to mellow.

People quite enjoy it. One of my better hoppy beers that I have ever made. The bitterness is firm but not harsh, the alcohol is unnoticeable, and the hop character is very bold (obviously) but that is what I was going for. The hoppiest beer I could possibly make.

The hops cost me about 15 bucks to make it, so don't worry about my pocketbook.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies folks, I just ordered supplies for a low gravity Irish Red, and a simple English brown ale. (My wife said I should do an IPA and a ESB ... but Those are her favorites- I guess I've corrupted here over the years)

:tank:

Jens

You should be good to go with lower gravity stuff. I have to brew for a wedding that's in 6 weeks and I haven't yet. Its going to be witbier though, so I should be ok...

I would go with an Irish Red. I have had pale ales and brownales ready in 5 weeks. In fact, I make a brewers best kit for my in-laws (pale ale) and they are always drinking it within 4 weeks after brewing. I am sure an Irish red would be the same way.

A hefe would definitely be ready to go, but not everyone likes it.

A nice blonde, or Ed's Haus Pale would be ready as well, if you keg.

Hehehe!

Haven't earned enough brownie points with the SWMBO to get into kegging just yet ... But I'm Working on it , I Bought her Shoes tonight ;)

Anyhoo Tomorrow night is a double brew night UPS tracking says my Brown Ale & Irish Red Ale supplies will be here tomorrow - Hooray Beer

Skal !

Jens

batesjer said:
Hefe, Hefe, Hefe, Hefe. 2-3 weeks in primary then force carb.
Dude...you show up with kegs of a banana-clove beer (hefe) for a bunch of BMC drinkers and you'll destroy any chance of converting them to homebrewing. Hefe's are an acquired taste.

There are tons of other quick beers out there.

Blondes
American Wheats.
60 Schilling's
Light Pale Ales

Back