Re-bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
I bottled a batch of plum wine and it was clear as a bell in the carboy. Went to box some up to give to the folks who gave me the plums and there is sediment in bottles.

Wondering if I should open them and try to re-bottle it? Besides being a PITA, is there anything else I should be aware of? Thoughts, suggestions, beware of's??

Filtering and re-bottling will be a major pain in the arse, you could put them in the fridge for a few day will help the sediment to drop out of suspension.
In the future, rack into another carboy before bottling, leaving all sediment behind.

Filtering and re-bottling will be a major pain in the arse, you could put them in the fridge for a few day will help the sediment to drop out of suspension.
In the future, rack into another carboy before bottling, leaving all sediment behind.

Yeah... but if you bottle too soon then you are likely to find more sediment a couple of months later.. You really cannot bottle wines until they have aged 9 months to a year... and even then you can find sediment dropping out over time..

bernardsmith,
I agree 100%,Personally, all of my wines are aged 1.5 yrs - 2 yrs, no sediment here, unfortunately we are trying to help Mismost with an existing problem.
How old is the wine?

Back