Christmas Dinner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You may know that I'm not one to Celebratre the normal Christmas trappings.
But I do have a Family.

I Hate to be tied to "normal" Christmas traditions of a 2pm big Turkey meal. (A little like your thanksgiving thing)

I Normally spend Christmas Day up a mountain or such.

So Tonight (Christmas Eve) I had the Parents over for the Christmas meal.

Salmon belinis and Champagne.
Butterflied Prawns with Thai stuffing and crusted scallops.
Rack of lamb with mint and blackcurant crust, Squash and sweet potato mash. Sprouts tossed in bacon fat. Carrot in sea salt butter and fennel seeds. Roast potatoes cooked in bacaon and pork fat.
Cheese board (very 70's but still works)
Home made Christmas pudding and Brandy Sauce.
Mince pies, Store bought (better than I can do) and home made brandy butter.
Gaelic coffee and ameretti biscuits.

Finished with a glass of brandy then washed down with a glass of best bitter.

:ban::mug:

YooperBrew said:
We're just having a rack of lamb...
Can I come to your house for dinner? If you're just having rack of lamb for dinner, what do you have on a special occasion? :p

Just SWMBO and I for CHRISTmas. All our family live several states away.

We'll snack on cheese and crackers, and do a standing rib roast/prime rib about 4pm tomorrow. And of course swap a couple presents in the AM, but it really doesn't feel like CHRISTmas without anyone eles to share it with. I miss the old times, growing up, when when we'd have 30 family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) at our place for Christmas dinner.

On the bright side, SWMBO got me the AHB Fat Tire extract clone I wanted. The UPS guy brought it at about 6pm tonight. I can't wait to get that going. I'll find time tomorrow when SWMBO isn't looking to run though my check list of preparations, and I'll brew it on Wed. since I have two days off for CHRISTmas.

Merry CHRISTmas All!

I've just cooked my evening meal.

Minimalist.

Slice of potato cooked in duck fat layered with puréed potatoes and topped with roast duck breast with a sweet cherry reduction garnished with roast garlic and caramelised peach.

Port and Stilton to follow.

Got the 23 pound turkey out of my Ale Pale (made a great brining bucket). Bird is in the oven, the aroma is awesome! It's driving everyone crazy.

Gotta wait till 4 PM.

SWMBO and the kids are very picky eaters. If it were up to me, Christmas dinner would be roast goose with apple/raisin stuffing with fresh green beans and carrots and wild rice. Other years it would probably be medium-rare standing rib roast but I think that would just be wasted on them.

So, this year, as usual, it was ham, sweet potatoes green beans and rolls. Pumpkin pie for dessert. Everything turned out fine, but was a bit boring.

The other thing I would love to do sometime, but don't have the audience for, is an Italian style all seafood Christmas Eve dinner.

Orfy, your Xmas dinner sounds like it was superb.

In the oven as I type is:
Glazed turkey breast
Baked corn
Broccoli & Cauliflower Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Peach Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Rolls

Homebrewed adult beverages of choice :mug:

Had a brined duck here with mustard greens wilted in the duck fat, and home made pork and ginger dumplings.

We put out two oil fondue pots and a grill/raclette with tenderloin pork, turkey, and tenderloin beef, shrimp, calamarie, cheese cubes, mushrooms and perogies. We had bread crumbs for dry breaded pork and a wet batter for the turkey ,mushrooms, and seafood. Of course there was a raft of dipping sauces.

For dessert we had a chocolate fondue with many different kinds of fruit. What chocolate was left over went onto some marachino cherries for snacking on in the evening.

Back