Zero Temp loss in MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
I used to lose a couple degrees an hour while mashing in my 10g Igloo. not any more. It's just a piece of 2" styrofoam insulation with a zip-tye in the middle. It eliminates all that head-space. Works great.
Dec11004.jpg

Dec11003.jpg

So this sits right on top of the mash? Any risk of off-flavors from this? Maybe you could coat the piece in 'plasti-coat' or something. Not sure where you buy this stuff, but I've heard of it... may have even been on here.

I never get off flavors drinking coffee from a styrofoam cup.

or when I pour boiling water in some Nissin Cup o Noodles styrofoam cup.

I don't think you'd hit high enough temps to cause any problems.

Great idea! Closed cell polystyrene is about as flavor-free as things get. Be a good excuse to buy that hot wire cutter. You could even poke a thermometer through that.

david_42 said:
Great idea! Closed cell polystyrene is about as flavor-free as things get. Be a good excuse to buy that hot wire cutter. You could even poke a thermometer through that.

Actually, yes, I do just poke my thermometer thru. Forgot to mention that. And I've yet to notice any off flavors.

Awesome idea, I have trouble keeping temps in my 40qt cooler and was thinking headspace might be a problem.

Well have to give this a shot, cheers!

FARGING AYE !!!!! Some of you guys here are geniuses. Cool idea....got to keep my eyes open for a bit if styrofoam.

Hmmm. I have some scrap insulation at home. I plan to brew tonight, I will make a false top for my rectangular tun and gage the results. I have been struggling with temp loss like a mofo, so this may be the answer to my prayers. Plus it should be pretty darn cold during the mash, so this will be a great baseline test.

Edit:
Outside temp 36
Mashed in at 6:20, hit mash temp 154
Check 1 - 6:45 - 154
Check 2 - 7:05 - 154 (showed 152 prior to stir)
End of mash: 154.

You sir are simply my new hero.

Back