Red yeast rice cultivated from caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertRGeorge

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding red yeast rice anywhere on the net. There was some for sale on ebay a while back but not any more. Has anyone tried cultivating red yeast kome koji from some of the dozens of brands of capsules that are sold as dietary supplements against high cholesterol?

Anyone know where to get red yeast rice?

Check this out:

Red yeast rice

That is the best place I know of to get the stuff. I don't think you can cultivate the mold for the red koji from the capsules because I don't think that stuff is alive anymore. If it was you would need to get it up to 80% humidity and then slowly drop the humidity till you can get the mold to go into spore production. Once you get all the black specks to start growing you can collect that and sprinkle it on new rice. Wash rinse and repeat to make larger and larger batches for what you need.

Bang on! (that is not Chinese) I see they have yeast balls too, which I have been looking for at a reasonable price.
I appreciate the link, and the site looks like a really fun place to browse for other obscure ingredients!

Cheers!
Robert

Sorry about that. I didn't realize they sold out and I had to pick up some more and relist. It's back up now.

Back