Wort chiller advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
Well I have decided now that I can't live without a wort chiller for my partial mash brewing. I was planning on making a immersion chiller but the problem is that I live in Phoenix and the tap water is at 76 degrees (tested last night). From what I have read is that it will only cool the wort down to 86 degrees. So I was thinking that I might try another invention that I was thinking of. I want to install a weldless quarter turn valve on my wort pot and then gravity feed the wort down a 3/8 in copper tube coiled in another bucket that is filled with Ice and water. The outlet will then go to my glass primary carboy. Any opinions on if this will get the wort to 80 degrees by the time it makes it to the carboy? Also if I decided to go with a counterflow wort chiller, would it be able to cool the wort with my water temp problem? :drunk:

or you could make a pre chiller. make 2 chillers that you like together, one goes into a bucket with ice water to chill the water down, the other goes into the wort. once you have all the air bubbles out of both chillers, then slow the water flow down a bit. then you pumping cold water into you wort chiller to cool much faster.

Like this:
DSCN8542.jpg

yup, just like that, matter of fact, i was quoting one of your threads from memory when i replied to this one!!!! lol

I agree with the others a pre chiller would be tho route to go. I think it would be a pain to make sure that the inside of the copper coil is clean every time you finish using it. Bacteria would hide on the insdie of the tubing and contaminate you precious wort. Much easier to clean the outside of the tubing.

I was a little concerned about sanitizing the inside of the tubing. I think that I will try the two chiller route, one submerged in cool ice water and the other in the wort. This weekend is for building, next for brew!!!! :D

Now I know I live in the frigid part of AZ compared to Phoenix area ;) but if you have a pool and a wort chiller I do this below . Doesn't work all that well when the pool is at 90+ degrees but this has been working awesome for me once the pool temp goes down (no heater on my pool). 20-30 minutes and I'm at pitching temp. My pool is probably at 55 right now. Conserves water as well when using the chiller. When it's hot I've tried the pre-chiller and it just didn't seem to buy me that much more so I'm sticking to the chiller/pool and then using my fermentation chiller cranked to get to pitching temp.

IMG_1763-small.JPG

DesertBrew--

How odd it is to me to see to see you have to chill the wort in the pool! When I lager my next brew I plan to bring in buckets of snow to pack around my carboy!

Back