Chest freezers - Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip1993

Reaction score
I just bought a used Sears 18cu.ft. chest freezer ($75) off craigs list. I plugged it in, and it has been running for almost 24 hours now (empty). The thermometer I put inside says 4deg. I checked the wiring diagram and it says that at the "warmest setting" the temp range is -10 to +3. It also says that at 100deg ambient, runtime is 80-100%

I know it will be different once I liberate it from the DW and install my temp controller. But until then is this food freezer really gonna draw 650W 20-24 hours a day?

I know, but for now it's a food freezer until I can find the DW an upright. And if I find a better kegerator, it may stay a food freezer.

I'm just trying to decide if this thing is screwed up, or if I buy a new one it'll be the same deal. If this is just the way chest freezers work, ok. If mine is screwed up and my "steal" will cost $100/mo to run...

It's tough for a freezer to work on keeping an empty box cold. They work much more efficiently when they are full of frozen food. My 19.7 cu. ft. Frigidaire rarely kicks in when I'm in the garage (ambient temp is 95), but then again there are a bunch of kegs of beer in there are at the temp.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

Yeah, you want to keep chest freezers as full as possible. They are REALLY well insulated, but it is hard to keep air cold. I used to fill mine up with jugs of water.

Back