LP to digital

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
http://www.ion-audio.com/index.php

i have a ton of old records i listen to constantly. i don't want to wear them out more than the thirty and plus years they've been in use, as they'd be near impossible to replace, and also lose their sentimental value.

i'm looking at turntables that hook right into your pc, and allow you copy the vynil to digital format.

anyone have any experience in this? this ion has competition from audio tech but the ion is a usb hookup, the audio tec a line in to a sound card or something.

If you plug the deck into a pre amp then you can use the line out into the line in on your soundcard and use any software to record and compress the signal.

Some software is specificly for LPS and will detect the gaps between gaps and clean up the signal taking out clicks and crackles.

Some sound cards will take the input straight from the deck with out the pre amp.

There's no way I'd buy a dedicated turntable for this. You probably have a decent setup and as long as your reciever has line level outputs (red and white RCA jacks) get yourself a duel male RCA to male stereo 1/8" cable. I use software called cool edit pro. Get your levels nice and hot, but not clipping. Hit record on your software and play the album. You can slice it up into individual tracks later.

Bobby_M said:
There's no way I'd buy a dedicated turntable for this. You probably have a decent setup and as long as your reciever has line level outputs (red and white RCA jacks) get yourself a duel male RCA to male stereo 1/8" cable. I use software called cool edit pro. Get your levels nice and hot, but not clipping. Hit record on your software and play the album. You can slice it up into individual tracks later.

I second this.

I pulled all my vinyl into the library this way, cool edit pro and all.

I have friends with far larger collections than I and they are methodically importing their precious 'out of print' albums into their libraries the same way.

I no longer have a dedicated turn table in PHX. All of my vinyl and tables are in my friends "up-north" back woods cabin. My plan was to buy the USB instad of dedicating the equip/space, etc. and shuttle a few albums back with me as I travel back and forth.

That was the appeal for me.

Back