Home Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
Anyone built an all grain home brewery? I would love to do this but as with everything else, I don't want to half @$$ it. I want to build it, and I want it to be TOP NOTCH. I've been around the net and seen tons of cool set ups but I was thinking something along the lines combining the best of all the systems.
Not that its a detailed plan but maybe a discussion can lead me to an entire plan.

HLT, MLT, Boil Kettle, CFC, and fermenter, thermometers and a hydrometer. This of course would all be tied to a system of plumbing, pumps valves and solonoids to recirculate water/wort through and around the system in the different places adjusting its rout depending on temperature to maintain immaculate QA/QC. I was thinking that I should also connect the whole system to a cpu for absolute monitoring and control of the process but write the program to run itself once set up so the only thing I have to do is put my ingredients in and click start (minus cleaning). I was also thinking of setting it up so that the house plumbing was tied directly into the system from a charcoal filter so that I didn't have to fill it by hand, and have the house gas piped right to the burners so I didn't have to refill propane. I also thought about having valves set up on the fermenter so that I could pipe right into a keg or bottling bucket. This all sounds great but the bottom line is the almighty dollar...so I thought I should piece this sucker together once I have a complete plan.:mug:

Any plans, thoughts, pics I can look at to draw up a draft plan? Of course I will get a permit (NOT) when I build it.

I am actually working on a system that is very similar I work in controlls and automation and have been lookingat different ways to set up an almost completley automated system right now I am trying to figure out wether I want to heat with gas or electric nothing put together yet but looking promising.

Bobby_M said:
This is what you're looking for: http://www.alenuts.com/brutus.htm

I can't drink beer fast enough to brew enough. I don't want my brew day to happen without me just yet. I LIKE being involved.
That is pretty awesome. But, I think half the fun would be doing all that work myself (meaning what he includes in the plans).

I can't find any particular flaws with his system. No need to reinvent something that works. I got a "C" in industrial controls class at DeVry so LOVE controls scare the hell out me though.

Bobby_M said:

I can't drink beer fast enough to brew enough. I don't want my brew day to happen without me just yet. I LIKE being involved.

:off: I think its hilarious to have that sweet system and to hand write "Brutus Ten" on the control panel. Sorry to whoever owns it, but I think its weird to put something together so beautifully and well designed and leave a detail like that in. However, I'm still jealous and would take it 'as is' in a heartbeat.

landhoney said:
:off: I think its hilarious to have that sweet system and to hand write "Brutus Ten" on the control panel. Sorry to whoever owns it, but I think its weird to put something together so beautifully and well designed and leave a detail like that in. However, I'm still jealous and would take it 'as is' in a heartbeat.

He lurks and sometimes post here.
colplink - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member.php?u=6557

Bobby_M said:

Yes! This is exactly the type of thing that I am looking for! Probably something a little cheaper and a little more homegrown. I was thinking that I would have the HLT separaate from the chiller (reverse flow coil) and run house cold through it so there is less manipulation on my part. I was actually thinking about attaching valve faucets to the cpu so that I can just click a button to fill the system and fill the counter flow chiller. Also i thought about writing a sanitizing program that would first run soapy hot water through the system and then boiling water to sterilize so there was no need for bleach. If the boiling water doesn't work I can send some iodine or starsan through it (after scrubbing the sediments and grains out of it).
Yes. I like being involved too, and even though I wouldn't drink all of it I would keep brewing and distribute the excess (of course would have to get all the business permits).

Your idea sound almost perfect. This is pretty much the same thing I'm tyring to do basically becuase I need to do larger batches. I give away at least 50% of my beer its just the way I am I like to share my passions with the world, and as of now I have 3 exellent recipies and I am trying to open a brew pub, If you see my other post's 1 on free beer and 1 on experiment I am just trying to get a little feedback there are only 2 people in my area who know anything about beer and it's culture and they both love my beers.

landhoney said:

It is funny but I would imagine having a cast plate made for it would cost more than the system itself since he would only be making one or two of them...now if he were making 1000 of them it might be cheaper.

Back