Carbonation Level for an American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Hi folks, just kegged a 5 gal batch of an American Wheat. I'm sooo confused about CO2 Volumes and how to carbonate the Keg. I found a chart so I know how to set the psi I just need the volume for a US Wheat. Sanyo 4912 is set at 42 degrees. I do not want to force carbonate. So here are a few questions that I hope will help others as well:

1. Once I Have the volume and temp I can get psi from the chart (CO2 Volumes as a Function of Temperature and Pressure). How long do I keep it at this PSI to get the brew properly carbonated ? There's about 3.5 to 4 gals in the keg.

2. Once Carbonated how long do I need to wait to start Drinking ?

3. Once Carbonated what level of CO2 should I dispense at ? I've read levels from 5 to 11 and I don't want to overcarbonate.

Thank You !

Gerard

Perfect ! this is exactly what I needed.

I should have asked in the initial post but once I set the pressure to 13psi do I then shut the tank and let the CO2 absord or do I keep the tank at 13 psi for a week or so ?

Oh ok, I'm confused then. I guess I meant that I don't want to short cut the carb cycle. I've read about some folks pressurizing, shaking for a minute and repeating. Then the next day the beer is drinkable. I've just read too many conflicting articles about the reliability of this method. So I guess I'm looking to force carb the slow way :)

Set your beer at serving pressure and wait a week or two. Having pressure on the keg forces CO2 into solution in your brew regardless of agitation. Letting it happen slowly gives you the added benefit of not having green beer when you start pouring your pints.

Latest posts

Back