Just racked first brew to secondary!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imacoach

Reaction score
I just racked my first beer over to the secondary to help it clear some more. I didn't keep enough in the primary to take a reading on it though. I don't have a turkey baster or a thief to get some out for a reading, so I tried to leave enough in the primary to pour into the test jar. I was just short of enough to get a good reading. The Hydrometer bottomed out on the test jar, and the reading was just over 1.018 with that. I am not that worried about it though. The primary had not been bubbling for about two days now, so I am sure it is done. It sure did smell great when I took the lid off. :ban: Now to wait a couple more weeks to bottle. Man, I can't wait untill this is ready to drink!!!:mug:

Ya, I figured that I could get a sample when I transfer to the bottling bucket. How important is it to wait the two weeks in secondary. I know it really isn't necessary to secondary, but I wanted it to be a little clearer than it is. Can I just wait until it looks a little clearer and bottle then? If I do this will I need to let it sit in the bottles longer to allow it to condition more? I am trying to stick to the 1-2-3 rule, but with this being my first brew, I want it to be done!! Any clue how much clearing I can expect? I didn't use and clearing agents at all. I forgot to by the Irish Moss when I bought my kit.

It's worth it to wait... I was so eager I cracked into my first batch of green beer and wasn't until a few weeks had passed when I realized how much better it was becoming..

I loved it when my wife looked at in my glass and said, "I thought you said it was going to be green" :fro:

how did you rack it to the secondary? you should have been able to easily take a sample with a siphon?

other than that, go for 1-2-3 for your first batch and just open a few bottle early to see how it's going along ;)

imacoach said:
How important is it to wait the two weeks in secondary. I know it really isn't necessary to secondary, but I wanted it to be a little clearer than it is.
The beer will clear more if you let it sit two weeks. It is worth it to me. :mug:

I siphoned it, but I didn't want to take a chance on splashing the beer when I tried to take the sample. I probably could have but I figured I would just leave some in the primary and pour that into the jar. I underestimated what was left. No big deal though. Like it has been said, I will wait and take a sample before I rack to the bottling bucket. And the beer is a brewers best American Light kit. I think it is best for me to wait the two weeks. I will be too tempted to crack a bottle open earlier if I don't wait. Thanks for all the help!!

before i got my sampler (little solid turkey-baster looking thing), i took a sample by first using the siphon without a tube and just holding the hydrometer jar by the spout. two pushes would fill it up and then i could reconnect the hose and siphon.

Pouring from the jar is not a good way to do it.

Good for your for waiting, i waste probably a bottle of each batch sampling and at least three more seeing how the bottles are coming along :D

Back