Wlp001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all...I was wondering if WLP001 will ferment at 60*. Also, I know a starter is generally recommended but would I be ok without one for a 5 gal batch? Thanks

It will ferment slowly at that temp. As for starters, if you want to pitch the appropriate amount of yeast, it depends on the date your yeast is manufactured and the OG of the beer. Those are the other two variables beside the quantity you listed. Check out the pitching rate calculator here.

I just recently re-listened to the mp3 at White Labs WLP001 page because I was concerned about fermenting too low as well. The optimal range is 68-73°F, but he talks about folks using it down even in the high 50s to achieve different flavor profiles.

I've got my first batch of graff going right now, and my fermentation freezer has been below 65 the entire time. I just checked it at day 3, and it's bubbling every second still at 61F. I did use a pretty active starter.

As for whether you need a starter, check out Mr. Malty for reference. I say make one if you have the time etc.

I'm getting ready to mash-in in a short while. I have a tube of wlp001 in the fridge...so no time to make a starter. I was just wondering if I could just use the vial with no starter...I do have some S-05 I can use in it's place.

I'm getting ready to mash-in in a short while. I have a tube of wlp001 in the fridge...so no time to make a starter. I was just wondering if I could just use the vial with no starter...I do have some S-05 I can use in it's place.

Probably too late now, but S-05 and WLP001 are essentially the same yeast (chico strain). I prefer the S-05 because I get twice as many cells in an easier to care for longer lasting package at half the price. But YMMV.

As for whether or not you can just pitch the vial with no starter, read what jmo88 wrote above. Unless you tell us the OG and how fresh the yeast is, theres no way for us to know if it's a sufficient cell count for the beer or not.

Back