Plexi glass food safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not. Check out McMaster-Carr. You can see the specs on the sheets right on the web page. Also don't forget about the glue. Make sure your joining method is also food safe.

This is the bonding agent I have from mcmaster carr. -Multipurpose— For sealing, bonding, and gasketing. Thick for use on vertical and overhead surfaces. Bond metal, plastic, ceramic, glass, silicone resin, vulcanized silicone rubber, and wood. Begin to harden in 20 minutes. Temperature range is -75° to +400° F. Meet MIL-A-46106B, Group I, Type I. FDA compliant and USDA approved. NSF 51 certified for use with food equipment. UL recognized.

Just curious if the standard Plexi glass sheets at a HD or Lowes would be food safe up to temps of 180 or so?

180 F is the upper limit for PMMA (Poly methyl methacrylate). I'm sure it can take more but no manufacturer will condone it.

Food safe? Well why not so long as you are not burning it? But it may soften and fail. Also it tends to load up with stresses from all machining operations and heating so it develops stress crazing.
You are way far better with polycarbonate. It can take boiling fluids.

After that look to Tedure.

My Lowes sells both acrylic and polycarbonate sheets or at least they did the last time I looked about a year ago.

Also... Freckleface.com is the go to place for this stuff.

ideally I'd want like a 6 inch diameter 1/8" thick disc. It's part of a last ditch effort fora project so I don't want to spend a lot. I'll check on the availability of the polycarbonate in the form I need. Thanks for the info Cliff and thanks for the link Bobby.

Back