Foreign culture in fermented wort? Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlegminitism

Reaction score
Ok, i'm not a paying member yet, but i have a link to photobucket. let me know if it doesnt work.
http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac113/shlegminitism/?action=view&current=beer.jpg

This is only my second batch, but i sanitized everything and tried to not breathe when working with it, had an air lock, and had the a/c off when i was putting it in the bucket. It looks like there is a culture of some kind on the left side of the bucket. I tasted the beer after measuring fg 1.010, og 1.040. it didn't taste swanky so i'm probably still going to bottle. Any ideas what the culture is, or is it nothing. I hope some of that swine flu didn't find its way in. its tricksy, i hear.
Thanks and sorry about photo quality. cell phones...:confused:

oh, also i was originally planning on using the yeast cake for a new batch. is it safe to say that that would be a bad idea? Or would following a yeast washing tutorial help me be a cheap ass while not contaminating a new batch?

It didn't taste extremely off or anything. its been in there for 17 days. I was gonna leave it for a full 3 weeks but i got to get out of town so i wanted to go ahead and bottle.

Looks good to me. It looks like it might be some risdue oil. I have had a couple of batches that had that same film and they turned out great. I would say bottle it, and use the yeast cake for another batch.

Cool guys, thanks. I filtered it through a fine chinois strainer while racking and bottled it. Im sure that its just a case of the newby shakes. Instead of brewing a new batch to dump on the yeast cake, i figured i would give yeast washing a try so i read the nice pictoral guide on this lovely site and still managed to mess it up. Heres the details if anyone wants to put in their two cents or just point and laugh:
I boiled some water and sanatized some jars and let it all cool, and i poured the water in the bucket, but realized shortly after that i should have first racked off the layer of leftover beer that i kept from the bottling bucket. i had more liquid than i could fit into the larger of the jars, so i just re-covered it and let it sit for about 30 min. and then poured the top layer into a humongous bowl, covered it, and let it sit a bit longer before pouring it into ALL of the mason jars. At this point, i realized i only poured the water into the bucket but didn't shake it up to re-suspend the yeast, so i think i am only gonna have a tiny number yeast to work with. I guess the best plan would be to refrigerate for a few weeks and pour off the top, add a little sterile o2-less water into each jar, shake, and combine, and then maybe add to a little wort to make them multiply before following the yeast washing process again? Commence to pointing and laughing and rotten vegetable throwing! But thanks again for the comments!:tank:

Back