Johnson Controls A419: Big Difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperbrew

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at purchasing a temperature control to use for a fermentation fridge, and while price is always an issue (albeit not the biggest one), I want to make sure I'm purchasing something that should last me awhile. With that said, I would like to see if anybody could offer a recommendation between the different Johnson A419 controls.

On eBay, I'm looking at either the Johnson Controls A419ABC-1C or the Johnson Controls A419ABG-3C (which I think might actually be the ABC-3C, but not entirely sure). From the website, the main difference seems to be the "lead length", however I'm not even sure what that means (I know little about electronics).

I am not real familiar with any of these type controls, however I would like one that has Anti-Short Cycle Delay, outside of that I'm clueless as to what to look for in these. While I considered the Ranco brand controls the most competitively priced models did not seem to have the Anti-Short Cycle Delay, and with Johnson being the other highly talked about brand I'm not too terribly worried that it's going to crap out after a week or so. So after all that, is it worth paying $20 more for the ABG-3C?

*FYI: I tried to put links to each control on eBay, but it won't allow me to do so.

Pardon my ignorance, but does that just mean the length of the probe cord? $20 seems to be quite a difference for such a small variation. If that's the case, I'll probably just go for the ABC-1C.

Looks like the G model is prewired, for $20 its a toss up. You could buy an extension cord and wire it yourself and save $10 or so.

The Johnson Controls A419ABG-3C ELECTRONIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL; PRE-WIRED 6' PLUG AND 6' RECEPTACLE. 120VAC, 60HZ.

Oh my bad, I misread the model number, missed the "G", A419ABG-3C vs A419ABC-3C

+1 on save your money and do all the wiring yourself. I'm not the most handy person and I had my A419ABC-1C from box to functioning in about 45 minutes.

Back