extreme carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHat do you mean by extreme carbonation?

Is it gushing?

It could be any number of things, bottling too soon(Did you use your hydrometer?) too much sugar, a gusher infection, opening a bottle warm, it could even be "false carbonation" that people sometimes get when opening one too early...before the co2 gets reabsorbed into solution.

Like in this video here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw]YouTube - time lapse carbonation[/ame]

But we really can't help you unless you help us by giving us more info...

Should have been more specific, sorry. Like, just really bubbly beer - to the point where it seems to just mask whatever flavor the brew might even have. Not so much when you pour it, I've seen beers that just foam out like crazy without a rough poor or anything.

But mainly when drinking it, having it almost feel like a sprite in the mouth or something.

Should have been more specific, sorry. Like, just really bubbly beer - to the point where it seems to just mask whatever flavor the brew might even have. Not so much when you pour it, I've seen beers that just foam out like crazy without a rough poor or anything.

But mainly when drinking it, having it almost feel like a sprite in the mouth or something.

That sounds more like too much priming sugar...what kind of beer is it? How much sugar did you use, etc?

Well it wasn't my beer, have got a couple batches that are bottled but I haven't gotten to the point of tasting em yet.

This was someone elses brew, can't really comment on how much priming sugar they used but I figured it was the amount "called" for.

One was an ale that had a fruit extract in it, the desired fruit taste could be recognized but it was just overpowered with the carbonation, was almost like a champagne if that makes sense.

I know it's not a lot of info, but that's the best I can describe it - and so you'd say it's probably the result of too much priming sugar? More so than possibly bottling early? I know these guys didn't rush it, so I wasn't sure if that was the culprit.

And in terms of this video you put up, when I go to try my own beer - after about 10-14 days in the bottle, should I pop it open and let it sit for a minute to see if it starts coming out like that? That being a sign that it should sit for a bit longer?

Some beer kits com with a small pouch of priming sugar, usually about 3/4 of a cup, and if you just use the whole bag, you get a highly carbonated beer. My first few brews were overcarbed because I used the whole bag each time. It was ok with the cream ale, not so much with the sweet stout, though. I have learned to carbonate thoughtfully, and to style.

Advice, get a scale and software to make adjustments for you. I've had this problem with 2 of my 8 beers. I used the same amount of Priming Sugar for each batch at the same proportion but they ended up over carbed.

The Problem: the amount of priming sugar you need to add varies on the temp.

The Solution: Get a scale for accuracy and software (Beersmith) which automatically adjusts the amount of priming sugar dependent on the temp.

Back