beer smelling like green grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

a friend of mine just made a new batch of beer, after two weeks on the bottle the beer is smelling like green grapes (I can't find a better description for it). The beer is also very turbid, but I guess its because he moved the carboy while bottling so a lot of sediment got into the bottles.

Is this taste a possible infection or is it from the yeast cake that got into the bottles?

Best regards

Two weeks is pretty early it may just be a green (young) taste. If it fades with time it was probably just green. As for the yeast it should settle with time as well.

Probably just too early. What kind of beer is it? I have read that wits/hefes/big belg ales can give off that kind of smell.

yeah, it is supposedly a trappist-like beer. The instructions on the kit said to let the beer mature for two months, but he was too excited to wait all this time :)

Back