Balls or Pinz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSlinger

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me the difference between a ball connector and a pin connector other then the operation and the use of it…

What is the practical difference, why would you choose one over the other? From the site that I’m looking at one is more expensive but which is better and why?

:drunk:

The pin connectors have to be jambed down onto the plugs, opening the poppet valve and then turned to lock them. If you make a mistake, BOYT (Brew on your trousers)!

Ball connectors, you just jamb down. They don't open the poppet until they are tight enough to seal and they seal automatically. They are also more common, so you are more likely to get good deals on them.

Here are pics of the 2 connectors.. Ball on the left pin on the right.
4535.jpg
6121.jpg

Also I believe that if you use the pin lock you need a special socket to remove the posts but for the ball lock you can just use a normal wrench.
When you do pick ball err I mean when you decide what you want to go with... stick with it. It will make life much easier if you only have one type.

Sephro said:
Here are pics of the 2 connectors.. Ball on the left pin on the right.
4535.jpg
6121.jpg

Also I believe that if you use the pin lock you need a special socket to remove the posts but for the ball lock you can just use a normal wrench.
When you do pick ball err I mean when you decide what you want to go with... stick with it. It will make life much easier if you only have one type.
That's what I was looking for......the justification to spend the extra money to get the better product...

That works....

:rockin:​

SWMBO brought home a Coke pin lock from her bar the other night. She was all excited, and thought I would be so happy. I threw on a fake smile, thanked her and told her how much I appreciated it.

Now I need to find someone who wants this.....

Chimone said:
SWMBO brought home a Coke pin lock from her bar the other night. She was all excited, and thought I would be so happy. I threw on a fake smile, thanked her and told her how much I appreciated it.

Now I need to find someone who wants this.....

Well, unlike most people I don't mind paying a good price for a good product, but I only want to have to pay it once....

And that's what threw me as well because they were listed as Pepsi and Coke.....so I was a little baffeled by that.....

i have both kinds. kegs are kegs to me. i use flared fittings for everything, so i just need the QDs (quick disconnects), and i'm good to go. it allows me to be flexible in the deals i find on craigslist usually.

in fact, chimone, if you don't mind shipping to Texas... i could take the keg off your hands. haha.

i think pin has some advantages over ball as well. the co2 side has two pins, while the liquid side has three. ball lack is a bit more ambiguous, and you can make a mistake easier with the ball lock. ball lock kegs are generally much more available and easier to find. some places sell the QDs cheaper for ball lock as well.

it is also a matter of size. pin lock are generally stumpier, meaning shorter and wider. for a mini fridge, this could be important as it could possibly fit just right and a ball lock would be too tall. it could also be in a chest freezer where ball lock can fit more but pin lock can't fit as many (this would have to be a fairly large chest freezer to see the difference though)

i personally use whatever i can find for a decent price. if that is ball lock, great, if it is pin lock, great.

just get flared connectors, don't get barbed. please don't get barbed. you will thank us when you realize you need to take off the hose for cleaning or swapping, or getting both kinds of kegs.

hope this helps!

I've 5 pin locks and they all work great. The only reason I got them was because that was what was available at the time in my area. Also, since they are a bit shorter. They fit better into the Fridge I have. I now have a new fridge at my In-Laws place, so it won't matter.

Ball Lock - Tall and Thin
Coke - Short and Fat..........Like all good beer drinkers!!!!

Back