when to transfer to secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis22155

Reaction score
Using a brewers best kit, says to transfer to my carboy when the hydrometer says the beer is in the primary, what does this mean.

That doesn't make much sense.

Many people will say there is no need to transfer to secondary unless you are aging, dry hopping or adding fruit, and they are probably right. Transfer usually happens when the beer has finished fermenting, your hydrometer can indicate this by having a stabilized gravity, consistent readings over a few days. I usually leave the beer in the primary 3-4 weeks and then bottle or keg.

Using a brewers best kit, says to transfer to my carboy when the hydrometer says the beer is in the primary, what does this mean.
I usually do Primary 2-3 weeks then secondary for two weeks if I'm adding anything otherwise it stays on the primary for 30 days. Then rack to bottling bucket, prime and bottle .

My process is primary for 14 days, 7 days @ 66-68F, 7 days @ 70-72F, then transfer to a secondary for another week. I usually do beers that I dry hop or pepper beers, as for the reason I do a secondary. If no conditioning, I keep in the primary, cold crash for a few days, then keg. My very first beer, I got too axious and transferred out early w/o a diacytl rest and paid the price. With what I do now, I havnt had any issues and am able to drink the beer within 3-3.5 weeks

I'm in the process of making an oatmeal chocolate stout. Would those in the "No Secondary" crowd recommend addition of chocolate extract and bourbon-soaked vanilla pods to the primary, or should I rack over these in a secondary?

My process is primary for 14 days, 7 days @ 66-68F, 7 days @ 70-72F, then transfer to a secondary for another week. I usually do beers that I dry hop or pepper beers, as for the reason I do a secondary. If no conditioning, I keep in the primary, cold crash for a few days, then keg. My very first beer, I got too axious and transferred out early w/o a diacytl rest and paid the price. With what I do now, I havnt had any issues and am able to drink the beer within 3-3.5 weeks

2 Weeks seems short since even the most.water down brews needs at least 3 weeks but if that taste works for you then keep it up..Palates are different and its nice to be able to make it as you like ..

Back