Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day - November 3, 2007 - Austin, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Any HBT folk want to join me for Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day? (http://www.beertown.org/events/teach/index.html) Bring your equipment and show a PM Extract brew process or an All grain? I think it would be great to have a few brews going that day for folks. It will be outside under some 10x10 pop up canopies in Austin Hill Country.

I'll be brewing 10 gallons of an All Grain Haus Pale Ale. Crushing of the grain starts at 9 AM with instruction on the whole process to pitching the yeast. We will use a simple batch sparging method and discuss the differing types of equipment needed and where they can be purchased. Tips on keg reconditioning, sanitizing & filling will be done in the afternoon with a workshop on filling bottles with a simple home made counter pressure bottle filler.

Slow smoked Pulled Pork sandwiches will be served in the afternoon.

Please send an email to [email protected] with your name, phone number and number of people you are bringing so I can get a head count and send you travel directions.

JnJ said:
I just may come up to observe if that is ok.

That's the whole idea. I just put it out there if someone might want to do a mini mash for demonstration purposes as I will be focused on All Grain.

Bump. I think I may do an extract brew too, following BYO's 10 great tips in this month's issue. Any suggestions for an extract brew with steeping grains?

Hi, You might try Austin Homebrew Supply's Bavarian Hefeweizen this is my first brew that I started on 10/13 and does require steeping grain. I will definatly try to make it out to the "Teach a friend day", it would be great to meet some local homebrewers. Hope to see you there

I won't be teaching anyone how to brew on 11/3, but I've tought 5 people how to brew in the last 6 months.

Just found out im not gonna be able to stop by. They moved my scuba certification from Lake travis to Athen's.

Ryanh1801 said:
Just found out im not gonna be able to stop by. They moved my scuba certification from Lake travis to Athen's.

Bummer dude! So far we have about 15 folks coming. Looks to be a real neat day with folks learning about All grain brewing.

I'm looking forward to it.

I may be able to make it. I asked my little brother if he wants to come, since he wants to buy my first beer making kit.

Ryanh1801 said:

Getting dive certified eh? Give me a shout when you want to go diving. :mug:

Man, Ed, I'm gonna try real hard to talk my wife into it. I'm gonna bait her with an entire weekend in Austin with plans only set for Saturday :) I'll bring my AG equipment and some ingredients down if she says yes, maybe brew a belgian? I've got plenty of yeast for it.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Man, Ed, I'm gonna try real hard to talk my wife into it. I'm gonna bait her with an entire weekend in Austin with plans only set for Saturday :) I'll bring my AG equipment and some ingredients down if she says yes, maybe brew a belgian? I've got plenty of yeast for it.

Thanks, but we are good on the AG side. We want to keep it simple as we are teaching folks. If you want to schlepp your stuff down to brew for the heck of it, that's cool too.

Looks like we'll skip the PM or extract brew as I have had no takers wanting to that. It will be a full day as it is. Now I just need good weather.

EdWort said:
Thanks, but we are good on the AG side. We want to keep it simple as we are teaching folks. If you want to schlepp your stuff down to brew for the heck of it, that's cool too.

Looks like we'll skip the PM or extract brew as I have had no takers wanting to that. It will be a full day as it is. Now I just need good weather.

Sounds good, I'll probably just leave it behind then if we make it. Did you guys get any of that storm lastnight? Was absolutely crazy here.

Yeah, if the weather turns out good, ya'll will be missing a fine day at the ranch, brewing beer, eating pulled pork sammiches, and enjoying a fresh keg of Haus Ale. :D

If I'm still having bad beer problems, I may bring a sample with me to see if anyone can help figure out the problem.

Tomorrow is the big day! Weather looks great and we have room for more attendees, so if you are close, get your butt out of bed and join us for a fun day of learning about making beer.

Well, out of the dozen or so folks that RSVP'd, we had few folks who could not make it and a couple of no shows, but we did end up with 6 folks all together coming by.

TAFTBD07.JPG

It was a great day for brewing brew. Rohanski brought his SWMBO and the coffee was going for the morning start. By afternoon, we were chilling and enjoying some fruits of my previous labors. :D The recirculating ice water chiller worked great bringing the wort down to 66 degrees in no time.

We also got to sample some of Uncle Billy's Insomniac Coffee Stout before we broke out the German Himbeergeist (raspberry schnapps).

Yep. Just the one batch. I'm doing an extract clone of Anchor Porter next and invited some noobs to help with that one too.

Brewing with folks is much more fun than alone. Just don't start tasting the wares till after flame out.

Latest posts

Back