anyone ever try Soda Stream?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyseany

Reaction score
every time i hear this thing advertised on the radio i wonder.... "huh i wonder" lol

anyone ever try carbing a bottle of beer out of the primary with one of these things?

just curious

Sean

Yup, just a big, foamy mess. The difference is concentrate. I think it's designed to carbonate water, then you add concentrate. Unless you have beer concentrate, it doesn't work too well.

Plus I think it'd take a while to do a 5g batch...and why pay for CO2 when the yeast make it for you?

i was just at a cooking class and they had one. it works great for carbing water. no idea how it'd work for beer

I own one of those. If you put anything in the water before you carb it, such as the concentrate or even the oils for adding like a lemony taste to the water, when you carb it it just sprays all over. If you were to put beer in the bottle, it'd be like heavily shaking a beer bottle and opening it.

I tried that with my horrible first attempt at a brazilian Malzbier clone. It made a huge mess of which I'm still finding where it ran.

Good news is, it did carbonate the beer. Not worth the mess though.

As raven1a said, its for water only. I made that mistake once as I tried to re-carb some water that had the lemon oil in it and it made a mess. They are awesome for what they are, but their CO2 refills are way too expensive.

I absolutely LOVE my soda stream. That being said, I use it only for carbonating water. I tried carbonating pre-mixed juice one time and it sprayed all over the place.

Big Sodastream fan here. If you buy your machine from Bed Bath and Beyond, refill canisters are half price, which makes them a lot easier on the wallet.

Back