Newbie Equipment Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ectomorph

Reaction score
Ok, so in my intro thread I mentioned I started with a Mr. Beer and it sucked, bad. So the nearest homebrew store to where I live is All Seasons in Nashville, TN. I'm planning on going there to get my new equipment. Let me know if I've left anything out.

Brewers Best Equipment Kit Kit includes 6.5 gallon "Ale Pale" with lid, 6.5 gallon bottling bucket, spigot, easy clean, air lock, racking cane, siphon tube, bottle filler, hydrometer, thermometer, capper, bottle brush, and instructional DVD.

So I also need yeast and malt extract. Anything else guys/gals? :ban:

Price is always going to be an issue. I've seen the BB kits, and frankly, I haven't been that impressed. You will need a 6.5 gallon glass secondary. Don't fall for the "bottling bucket can be used as secondary" trick. Now, I love their brewing kits, but their equipment...well....I don't know.
Your also going to need two cases of empty bottles. However, if you are going to be devoted to the craft, get ready for kegging. I think everyone should bottle a batch or two just to learn, but always be ready for kegging. Well worth it.
Brewing....it's not just an adventure, it's a way of life. You'll learn more about beer and be rewarded with learning. Read everything you can. There is a ton of information for free on the web.

Sounds like you have the basics.

Dont forget bottle caps, and bottles naturally.

What are you using for a boiling pot?

When you are ready, the turkey fryers are amazing and much quicker than stovetop.

One addition I might suggest is to buy or make a chiller, it will improve quality.

BTW, the one ingrediant that is no charge is the most important one;

Patience.

Happy Brewing.

knewshound

It's a good starting point and for $49.99 not a bad price.

I would definetly get the 5 gal carboy (glass or better bottle) for a secondary. Makes a major difference in your beer. And only $20.00 more

Make sure the kit has a stopper for the primary bucket lid and if you get a carboy another stopper for that.

An auto siphon makes the task of racking from brew pot to primary- primary to secondary- secondary to bottling bucket ALOT easier to do and less chances of contamination. ($10.50)

A Jet Blast (bottle/carboy washer) with faucet adapter (if needed) make washing/rinsing carboys and bottles a breeze. ($10.99)

I just found their site on the web and will have to try and make a stop there when in Nashville. GO PREDS!!!!!

I would strongly reccomend a turkey fryer. They are relatively cheap (I got mine at a swap meet with a nice stand, gas line, igniter and burner) for about $50. It is not as high quality as some but it can boil about 2 gallons of water (on a test run) in about 15-18 minutes. Plus the big burner can accomadate the large brew pot much easier than my crappy stove, which takes about 45-50 minutes to boil the the same amount of water. Plus, you can make your wort outside...which is much better than heating your whole house and having a bunch of whiny room mates who drink wine with their pinky in the air complain. Oh yeah, don't forget your first batch of beer when buying your kits...like I almost did. Got so excited I was driving away and then it hit me...I have not ingredients. Don't forget priming surgar either, for when you are ready to bottle.:mug:

Back