Yeast Starter For 10 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished brewing Santa's Helper (Trippel) and I have a 10 gallon system.
I have been using Wyeast Propagators (3787) with a yeast starter (in a 64 oz. growler).
Total yeast starter is 32 oz.
Usually make starter the day before brewing (after smack pack is swollen).
I have been dividing the starter between 2 fermenters.
I know that I am under pitching.
Question I have has anybody had experience with dividing a smack pack between (2) 32 oz. starters???
My eye balling method works but I noticed the difference in fermentation between both carboys this am.
One was swirling with magic and the other was just perculating.
Thanks,
Ian
CSB
:mug:

I'm a little confused as to where you are dividing - you're splitting the yeast into the starter or into the carboys? I do the latter (10 - 12 gallon batches), and usually see some difference in lag time between carboys (up to half a day). It has never made any difference, though.

If you are going to do 10 gallon brews then you might be better of using a larger fementation vessel. I use a 15 gallon barrel or the Demijohn when I use liquid yeast and a starter. If I use dry I use two Better Bottles

Sorry. I wanted to clarify.
I would like to use one smack pack and pour half in 1 starter and the other half in another. I am currently using (2) carboys for fermentation.
:mug:

If you're using growlers as the vessels for the starter, but 32 oz total for the combined starter, then I would put the whole 32 oz in one growler, pitch the smack pack into it, then divide the total volume. Easier to eyeball the divided volume but you get equal distribution of yeast to the starters. And in turn it should make for equal distribution of yeast to your two carboys.

Back