Microbrew Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
My mother is throwing a barbecue today for the 4th, and knowing of my new hobby, and the research that has ensued in the last few weeks, requested that I bring a couple of six-packs of some good microbrew craft beers. I know of a few breweries that I like, Dogfish Head, Arcadia, New Holland, Bell's, but I was hoping to try something new.

Does anybody (particularly people in Michigan, maybe even the southeast Detroit area) have any recommendations for something new I could try? I'll be going to a specialty store that typically sells as many craft brews as possible, but I know the answer to this question is often based on distribution regions.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Get your hands on anything by Great Lakes Brewing Company. Commodore Perry IPA is a great beer to get people into an IPA. But really, everything I've ever had by them is just fantastic and should easily be found in Michigan, especially the Detroit area.

The best part is you can usually get a sampler pack that has a mix of 4 different beers. Great way to sample a wide variety. I'm actually drinking a great lakes dortmunder gold right now :mug:

Ghettoblaster.

Do you get any Wisconsin beers around there? If so, try Leinenkugel's many summer ales, Berghoff, New Glarus, or Gray's.

Great Lakes is a great idea, I have been told to try the Commodore Perry IPA, so I'll definitely make sure that is one of them.

I like Leinenkugels a lot. We get that in Chicago, and I very recently got pretty toasty drinking a few of their Summer Shantys. I'm pretty sure they get that around here, I'm only in town for the weekend.

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming, even if you're not from SE Michigan, I'm always looking to try new brews.

My mother is throwing a barbecue today for the 4th, and knowing of my new hobby, and the research that has ensued in the last few weeks, requested that I bring a couple of six-packs of some good microbrew craft beers. I know of a few breweries that I like, Dogfish Head, Arcadia, New Holland, Bell's, but I was hoping to try something new.

Does anybody (particularly people in Michigan, maybe even the southeast Detroit area) have any recommendations for something new I could try? I'll be going to a specialty store that typically sells as many craft brews as possible, but I know the answer to this question is often based on distribution regions.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
If you're in the Detroit area, check out Super Liquor IV in Ann Arbor. They have a huge microbrew selection in general and specifically an excellent selection of Michigan beers.

:off: TexasSpartan, I don't suppose your name happens to come from going to Michigan State University? I am an alum myself.

Sorry I missed this thread yesterday. WHat did you end up bringing to the bbq?

I would have also suggested/mentioned any of Bell's beers as well as any of the Dragonmead Beers that are available in bottles (though they are a bit pricey) like Final Absolution Tripel.

I ended up getting Dogfish Head Raison d'Etre (I had to go with something I KNEW I would love), Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer, Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA, and Bell's Oberon. I have had the Raison and the Oberon, so I knew those would be great, but the Perry IPA was unexpectedly great. The Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer tasted good, and I enjoyed it, but as far as Wheat Beers go, I preferred the Oberon.

Thanks to everyone for your input in this thread. If you have any more thoughts, don't hesitate to let me know.

GO WHITE!

Great Lakes has some crappy beers. Their Edmund Fitzgerald tasted identical to my infecting Brown Ale, they have some "lager" (commador Perry?) which is rather a stretch.

Burning River is good. Nesferatu works because the name is sweet.

In my experience, I've had mixed results from GLBC. I didn't care for the Eliot Ness, and I'm usually a huge fan of amber lagers. The Dortmunder Gold, however, I thought was quite delicious. I found it had a great balance of flavors, and very clean.

Great Lakes has some crappy beers.

You're f-in crazy.

Great Lakes has at least 5 or 6 solid beers that are easy to find: Burning River, Commodore, Edmund, Dortmunder, Christmas Ale. Every year, people fall all over each other to get the Christmas Ale, and it's like $10 or $11 bucks for a sixer.

Edmund F. is the porter of all porters. If you don't like Edmund F., you don't like porter.

You're f-in crazy.

Great Lakes has at least 5 or 6 solid beers that are easy to find: Burning River, Commodore, Edmund, Dortmunder, Christmas Ale. Every year, people fall all over each other to get the Christmas Ale, and it's like $10 or $11 bucks for a sixer.

Edmund F. is the porter of all porters. If you don't like Edmund F., you don't like porter.

Their porter has too much citrus flavor. I was at a friends and we had a sampler pack. You could give me a burning river a c-perry and I wouldn't know the difference.

Founder's Red's RyePA. That'll get them puckered up! So tasty.

This is one of my favorites. As for New Glarus, unfortunately the only way to get it is to go to WI, or have someone bring it to you from there. They don't distribute out-of-state.

Back