Good Oktoberfest kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Meister

Reaction score
Looking to start my second batch and about time to start an Oktoberfest!!

Any recommedations for a good kit? Do all Oktoberfests need to be Lagered? This weekend I'm going to make a fermentation cooler (if time will allow and be cooled by ice containers) but since it's been around 90 degrees here in central PA lately I may not be able to maintain lagering temperatures in the cooler. My dad has a spare frig at his place, I'll see if I can stash it there if it must be lagered.

I'm looking for an easy, quality kit, for my second try.

Thanks Guys

DM

I just did an Oktoberfest myself and I don't have lagering capabilities either. I decided to try it with a California Lager yeast (steam beer yeast), and I just threw the fermenter into a bucket of cool water, with a wet t-shirt pulled over the top of it. I've got a water bottle that I just freeze some water in then drop in there to cool it a bit more. Seems like it will keep it cool enough... from my experience, CA Lager yeast is pretty forgiving anyway.

I did an all-grain recipe which I got from Clone Brews, the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest recipe. I'm not sure what kind of kit you need but Austin Homebrew has an oktoberfest in extract, mini-mash, and all-grain:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_46_42_177&products_id=373

PS -- I'm from central PA too :)

Thanks. I was eying that kit yesterday but I wasn't sure how it would turn out without using lager yeast. I don't think dad is using the fridge in his garage/shop for anything I'll see if I can borrow it.

I don't know how it's going to turn out but I can't imagine it will be bad... don't know how close it will be to a real Oktoberfest though

A true Oktoberfest needs to be lagered, and if you start one now there's no way it'll be ready by October. You needed to brew in March for that. But there's no law saying you have to have it in October, enjoy it whenever you want! If you brew now, you will have an awesome beer come March!:mug:

Back