Adding coffee to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
I'm adding cold-brewed espresso into my primary to make a coffee stout. I was hoping to add the coffee before the end of active fermentation for the convection to mix it naturally. However, it seems as if active fermentation is near it's end (I took the first hydrometer reading tonight). Since I'm not using a secondary (still a novice!), would it be OK to pour the coffee into the primary and mix it up with a spoon? How long would it take for the sediment to settle again? Is it advised to stir up the sediment in the primary or should I just add the coffee to the bottles instead? I may bottle by next Thursday (at 14 days of fermentation in primary).

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother stirring it. It will mix fairly well as is. You could even add it to your bottling bucket, as the coffee isn't really going to change any during the fermentation process. If you do add it to the primary, when you rack it to the bottling bucket, it will finish any mixing that it didn't get in the primary.

In fact, I would say it would be best to put it in the bottling bucket, though, since the yeast won't absorb any of the coffee flavor.

Sounds good Mac! Thanks.

I wouldn't bother stirring it. It will mix fairly well as is. You could even add it to your bottling bucket, as the coffee isn't really going to change any during the fermentation process. If you do add it to the primary, when you rack it to the bottling bucket, it will finish any mixing that it didn't get in the primary.

In fact, I would say it would be best to put it in the bottling bucket, though, since the yeast won't absorb any of the coffee flavor.

I was listening to the Sunday Session episide where Spike from Terrapin came on. He said that for their Wake n' Bake Imperial stout, he adds 1lb/bbl of fresh roast ground coffee to the beer once it is done fermenting. He leaves it on the coffee for 24-36 hours, then filters it. Just a thought.

Back